The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
compression is good.

Just changed plugs, checked some sensors, cleaned the TB, etc.

Still nothing, going to see if i can get the distributor checked even though as far as I can tell I'm getting spark.

Just to clarify, you were initially having problems with the car not even cranking over, along with the buzzing sound, key on. Then you must have bumped something under the dash to make the car crank, but you still have the buzzing sound from the power lock relay, not the MFI/MPI relays correct? Can the car fire up and run as of now?

Search your car on rockauto then search "door lock relay" and it's there, for a pretty penny! Got any junk yards around? :sneaky:

The part numbers associated are: MB543647, MB543648, 19377, 88922699.

*Ah, you sir -are in luck, lookie here! 1999 MITSUBISHI DIAMANTE DOOR LOCK RELAY MB543648 | eBay

$75 vs $18 for OEM? Score :cool:

Check your voltage coming to the coil pack from the ecu. If you have none then check for a bad fuse, relay, or sensor signal. Double check your grounds as well.

Guess I should clarify. Buzzing is coming from the MPI/MFI relay for sure.

Car will start with or without the door lock relay being plugged in. I think the MPI/MFI might not be totally shot but on its last legs. It will start sometimes and not others. I will try again when I get home tongiht. Ill also tesat the battery voltage to see if that has any correlation

Door lock relay works fine

Okay that makes sense. Here's some more scchhhutttfff, yeah I couldn't find that relay off rockauto either, whoops

This @ $17 should work
Mitsubishi Fuel Pump Relay Eclipse Talon Galant | eBay
it looks to be from a 93' Talon from this thread, post #9:
ECU? MPI? Aargh! - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

This is same p/n as yours ( E8T08474 / MR161519 ) @ $30
95-96 Eclipse Talon Turbo 4g63 MPI Relay Fuel Pump 2g | eBay

Or you can always go to auto parts store, in which case I know Napa has it listed on their website:
http://napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal...&An=0+599001+101995+50050&Ar=AND(P_RecType:A)

Last edited by a moderator:
before you ask yes i used the search function :) i drove my car the other night, then came out the other day to start it and it just cranks and trys to fire but it won't, i replaced the coolant temp switch still nothing, well i noticed the fuel pump wasn't kicking out and didn't seem like i was getting spark either, so i check the ecu everything seemed fine, well i pulled the cas off and if you spin it by hand then the fuel pump will kick on and you can hear the spark, but if its hooked up to the motor you get nothing. any ideas on this?

i did i went down the list thats where i got the idea for the coolant temp sensor, but on that list it didn't say anything about fuel pump not coming on with the cas in but will come on if you spin the cas by hand.

Wow, thanks for doing all my shopping for me and Jeeeezzzuuuus $110 for a new one? no way

ECU? MPI? Aargh! - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com
^ This sounds exactly like my problem granted I havent run it enough for it to die on me though. I will pull mine, make sure I get the right one then hopefully have one next week some time. Still gotta figure out what the deal is idling. Stay tuned.

Fuel pump relay ok, compression numbers, mainteance on vehiicle, wiring, ecu is good? ignition switch or resistor?

the ecu seemed fine, i pulled it apart and didn't see any leaky caps or bad connections. i wrote down my compression numbers somewhere i'll have to find them but they were good. i'll check some of the others.

ok, well i am new to the whole dsm scene. I have a 90 talon awd turbo. When i bought the car it had a 3in gm maf with translator gen2 in pull through, tubular manifold, small 16g, o2 housing with external dump, 3in downpipe, walboro 255.

the car ran but ran like crap with the translator, needed a knock sensor also. so i converted the car back to a 1g maf hooked everything back up to stock and put in a new knock sensor. Well the car cranks but does not start, sounds like it wants to but doesn't, getting fuel and has spark. not sure on compression or timing but it won't even run now with all stock parts minus bolt ons. Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance

Did the car run when you first purchased it?

it ran but ran terrible and extremely rich and no matter how much i leaned it out on the translator it still ran rich and super rough. I could barely move the car at all when i got it. so i figured i'd go back to stock and work my way from there. i pulled the ecu out and looked at it also. it looks like one of the caps was leaking as suggested by a dsm buddy in town told me to try another ecu?

The battery in the car has been dead for a few weeks no so i imagine it would have reset everything? i actually work at the autozone here in town, the only thing i did was remove the maf translator and connect everything that was disconnected when the translator was hooked up. so i reconnected the o2 sensor wire at the ecu and plugged in a stock 1g maf. i don't know if the maf works? i bought it from a guy here on the board and i'm not throwing any check engine lights or anything so i would imagine the maf is fine? I also put in a new knock sensor since the one on the car was junk and wasn't hooked up or working. that's all i have personally done to the car. I was hoping that when i put a factory 1g maf that it would fire right up and work just fine, well i guess i was way wrong. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back