The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Starting problems (cranks, but usually doesn't start)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetEuthanasia

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2023
Halmstad, Ohio
Ok, I guess I wrote a bit too much before. So it's a 1g, on registration MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE I (D2_A) 2.0 i 16V (D22A, D27A) 1993 150Hk. I got it last year, running, driving and everything. Few months later it started having troubles starting or dying sometime on lower speeds. Local shop didn't understand anything, broke a few things, returned it in a worse condition. Engine cranks, sometimes starts - when it does, it runs well.

So, what could it be, where can or should I start and so on?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a way to monitor fuel pressure?
Is there spark when cranking? strong spark?

Speed density or MAF?
Be gentle - I'm very much a noobie. So, fuel - first if there is any - around the sparks, then if any filter is clogged with a cup - tomorrow I'm getting a socket for it and a tester. No ideas about the air pressure yet, since I'm working on a parking lot with a basic kit. I would mention that they supposedly have tested, supposedly the basic things and haven't found anything. I will ofc retest what I can again. I've also got a buzzer on the way for the ECU, which can be dead. Lastly, when i got it, and the whole time it ran, it had this small issue, when it would jump, lose power for a second, check engine, then come on - don't know if its related, didn't get any worse, just putting it out there. For the fuel pressure, assuming there is any, i guess ill get a tester..

Last edited:
Update 1 - replaced the fuse box on the battery - sadly with a homemade device, but it is what it is.
Car started and ran well after - I have a suspicion that tomorrow it wont, so ill do an ECU and a coolant temp sensor test and post the next results.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Will do and post updates after doing each and every step. Thanks a lot and lets hope we can get it on the road soon :3
Update 2: Tried the car again - starts on the dot, again - the weather is now warm and sunny, which might be affecting that, or the new fuse box.. Now the radiator hose (bottom left side, but further than the nose from the engine) decided to blow - or something else near by - water started coming out.

Update 3 - sort of. The car seems to be starting, the cooling system will need an overhaul, but Im considering towing it to a shop - different one this time. If it isnt too much to ask, I would like to know what to tell them to check there so the issue with the intermittent starting can possibly be resolved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back