The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Spoiler questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Diehl

Probationary Member
May 18, 2019
Bonaire, Georgia
Is the stock spoiler that sits close to the rear window only for the tsi or 2as it an option for the esi also? My son really likes the look of it and wants to get one on his esi. Is that doable or is it frowned upon? Where could I purchase one?

That spoiler was Talons. However, not sure which trim package had them. It’s doable to install one. You can probably find one from part outs here or from Miller Import Parts.

The ESI's had a smaller spoiler, I think, and the TSI's have a bigger one. I have a 98 TSI and I kinda like the spoiler on it.
Somewhere around the farm I have a whole ESI hatch, I believe, but Miller Import Parts is a great place to inquire about one! I got a 90 TSI spoiler set from Steve a few years back.

Thanks for the info yall. Miller's didnt have one. I also need the covers for the adjuster arm for the manual mirrors but he didnt have those either. I'll keep searching.

Is this what he was looking for that he likes? It is an ESI hatch with the small wing.
The black Talon is my 98 TSI for comparison and has the taller wing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's the taller one that he likes. Millers emailed me back and said they have one but I need to see which one they have

Since I'm not a 2g guy I gotta thank Paul!
Appreciate the info. The hatch was given to me before the car went to the crusher.
I don't have any extra tall spoilers, but was trying to help out..

It isn't a tsi vs esi thing. Its 2ga vs 2gb. Only 97 and 98 talons have the taller spoiler

Yup this is correct. If I'm not mistaken, all but very base 2Ga Talons had the thumbnail spoiler, all of them black because all Talons had a black greenhouse. Not sure about the 2Gb high-rise spoiler--that might be turbo only.

Also the spoilers are not interchangeable between the two. The mounts are different; you have to swap the entire hatch.

Last edited:
I have a 97 talon so I should be good with the tall spoiler then

I have a 97 talon so I should be good with the tall spoiler then

Yup if your hatch is 2Gb you can only use a 97+ spoiler. The 95-96 style was held in by small holes in the hatch that studs on the spoiler passed through, where as the 97+ hatch has mounting points in the sheet metal on either side on the rear window.

Now mine has never had a spoiler. Is it still possible to attach one?

Not certain on this, but I think if your hatch doesn't originally have a spoiler, it may lack the required reinforced spoiler mounts underneath it. You may be able to attach it by drilling the correct holes and using washers/bolts/nuts, but it probably wont be an OEM fit.

If possible, try sourcing a whole hatch with the banana spoiler (97-98). That, or look into how the banana spoiler mounts. Maybe a kind DSMer can snap some photos for you if he has his spoiler off.

Is this what he was looking for that he likes? It is an ESI hatch with the small wing.
The black Talon is my 98 TSI for comparison and has the taller wing.
I'll buy the tall one off of you

Now mine has never had a spoiler. Is it still possible to attach one?

Unfortunately, a 97+ hatch without a spoiler wont have the sheet metal mounts for the high rise spoiler.

You could drill holes in it for a 95-96 spoiler though. It's held on by studs and nuts and there's no special reinforcing that I can recall. You'd also have to drill a larger hole for the 3rd brake light harness to pass through--about an inch in diameter if I remember correctly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back