The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spherical bearings 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks! I'm doing an AWD Swap as I'm doing this, and I guess I got so caught up in it that I neglected to take the rear axles into consideration, since I'm not used to having them back there, LOL.

Anyway, you've given me some good ideas. If I have some time Ill model something up real quick. Thanks again!

Last edited:
For some reason I'm picturing you like Fred Flinstone running around your neighborhood sitting in your empty chassis :)

That's kewl and all but really, how is the ride? Is your modification unstreetable?
Can you compare to experience with prothane or energy suspension, or at least your feelings on the comparison to stock bushings?

That's kewl and all but really, how is the ride? Is your modification unstreetable?
Can you compare to experience with prothane or energy suspension, or at least your feelings on the comparison to stock bushings?

It is going to transfer way more NVH into the car. There is no question about that. This is really intened for full blown race car or I guess an exteme weekend car. The 1g guys do similar mods to there cars and it my understanding they drive them around. It all boils down to what you call streetable. If I was going to build a disco street car I would just go with Prothane units.

Kevin

I would not put spherical bearings on a street car. A well seasoned track car has the bearings replaced regularly, and are considered a wear item.

I would not put spherical bearings on a street car. A well seasoned track car has the bearings replaced regularly, and are considered a wear item.

By wear item are we talking every race or every 10k miles?

I expected a lot of nvh transmission, but my opinion is that the urethane bushing replacement seems to diminish the active toe effect significantly. I was thinking about replacing the trailing arm bushings with the spherical bearing and perhaps a captive spring in the arm to correct. If you cycle the suspension without the shock attached, the trailing arm seems to impact the fluid motion of the system the most.

If you use high end spherical bearings they last a very long time, even on a street car. High end means hardened stainless steel, teflon lined. On top of that the bearings need protecting from dust, grit etc - so longs as you do that, they last just fine unless you're planning on 30k/yr and driving in snow.

I am still running the same bearings for the lower front shock mounts that I installed 10-11 years ago. The car gets trailered everywhere these days, but for several years I dragged a tyre trailer behind the car to events all over the north-east, from Oscoda Michigan to Washington DC, and out to Topeka Kansas once a year.

The cheap bearings I use for the anti-roll bar links wear out once a year...The bearing in my Shockteks also wore out after a year - those were also replaced with SS teflon parts, and they're still going strong today - shame the same can't be said about the dampers themselves...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back