The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Speed Density and E85 Tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type1DSMr

Proven Member
Jul 27, 2014
Jasper, Indiana
1). Any boost, vac, or exhaust leaks? Boost leak tested 5psi above your max boost with no leaks?
No, tested at 25psi
2). Verified mechanical timing?
Yes
3). Verified base timing?
95-96 Cas 2g
4). Ignition system
COP or Stock Coil: Stock
Wire brand and Age: NGK wires, few months old less than 1k
Spark Plug brand, type and Gap: NGK BPRES 7 0.25

5). Motor health (Compression Test)
Cylinder 1: 180
Cylinder 2: 175
Cylinder 3: 170
Cylinder 4: 170

6). Performed basic throttle body adjustments?
Idle Switch: No
Throttle Cable: Yes
TPS: Yes, 0.63v
BISS: Yes, still goes between 34-37 ISC position

7). Compression ratio
Stock 2g
8). Any known bad sensors or brittle wiring?
No, none that I know of at least
9). Any DTC/CEL codes?
No, expect a MDP code because of EVO 3 intake, disable with Link
10). Electrical system
Car off (not running): 11.7-12.4
Car running: 13.4-14.1

11). Base fuel pressure and injector values
Base Fuel Pressure: 43.5psi
Injector Size (cc/min): FIC Hi-Z 1100cc

12). Properly calibrated and configured wideband sensor
Sensor Brand: MTX-L
Calibration Date: 2 weeks ago

13). Type of fuel
Type: E85
Percent of Ethanol:

14). Watched ECMlink how-to videos?
Yes, of course

I'm trying to tune in my car on speed density with e85. However, according to the gm flex fuel sensor it's more like e55 because still had some 93 gas in the tank. All my mods are in my profile. Here's a quick run down of my mods: Walbro 450, Magnus fuel rail, Fuelab Reg and Filter, FIC Hi-Z 1100cc, Evo intake 3 with 1g TB, VRSF intercooler, Fp 68hta...etc.

Here's an idle log and cruise log in one. Idle goes to 148 secs and than at the end idle down with sd combine ft tool. Any questions or suggestions welcome. After idle and cruise done, I'll post a 3rd WOT log. So far in other logs the 68hta spooled as quick as my Evo 16g 22psi at 3500rpms.

Attachments

• new idle and cruise reset.elg
    725.7 KB · Views: 187
Idle doesn’t look to bad. If I were to nit pick a few things it would be.....

Airflowperrev is suppose to be around .25 so you may want to alter the idle cells a little more to bring that up a little from the current .23.

Combined FT is pulling an average of 2.7% (-2.7%) over the last idle section of the log. This is in no way horrible but it can be adjusted by just click the deadtime button a few times.

One thing I do have an issue with is your SD table. There are a lot of “jumps” moving across the table. Your motor is like an air pump so there should not be any sporadic changes. The table should flow smoothly and in a linear fashion.

To raise my airflowperrev do I remove fuel from the idle cells?

Not to be a stickler but the cells inside of the Speed Density tab represent the expected Volumetric Efficiency or Volume of air. Yes, if you lower the VE number you lower the expected amount of air in that cell and in turn lower the amount of fuel that is delivered but those VE cells alter the expected airflow.

In your case, airflowperrev is low so you would need to add to the VE values to increase the expected airflow and raise the airflowperrev.

Finally driving my car after a few new upgrades. I did a 3rd pull at 20 psi, however, around 5400 rpms to 7000 my target afrs and actual afrs are too far apart. How do I lean those sections out? I know I can track the ve table, but do I add or remove from the cells. The log also shows the fp 68hta hit 20psi at 4k rpms. Thanks

Attachments

• log.2016.03.31-05.elg
    27.5 KB · Views: 115
Here's another 3rd pull with some corrections made from yesterday's pull. Still need to adjust more, but it's better. I turned the boost up to 25-26psi, however, I was getting some bov flutter so I guess I need to tighten the nut some.

Attachments

• log.2016.04.01-06.elg
    25.5 KB · Views: 117
Your VE table is still all over the place. You really need to smooth that table out.

Did you ever fix the airflowperrev at idle?

Your VE table is still all over the place. You really need to smooth that table out.

Did you ever fix the airflowperrev at idle?

Yes, I got the airflowperrev at idle around .25-.26. I'm not really sure how to smooth out the table and your right it is all over the place.

After adjusting the AirFlowPerRev, did you adjust the deadtime to get your fuel trims back in line?

As for turning up the boost, you should only proceed down that path once you have correctly tuned the lower boost ranges. By turning the boost up, you changed the load of the motor and utilized different cells on that pull.

If you make changes at 15 psi and then turn the boost up for the next pass, you have no clue if your changes had the desired effect.

There are many ways to actually smooth the table out. I generally look for cells that are out of place and change those values so that they “flow” as expected. I’m not currently at the house but I will try to post up a corrected table later today.

I used the 25psi log. I made some corrections to try and bring actual AFR in line with commanded AFR. I then commenced to cleaning up the mess. I'm not sure how many of the corrections actually stayed the same but we shall see. At least now we a have a smooth table to work with. Load the VE table from the settings file and go make a pull.

That idle log looks pretty good.

Attachments

• New SD.ecm
    4.7 KB · Views: 132
A tune cruise is a good idea but remember, the values that link recommends are just recommendations. After using the tool, you should scan through the table and smooth out the area that you adjusted. If you just apply the tool we will be back to an inconsistent VE table.

Here's a 3rd pull with new VE table, however, the throttle only went to 97 down to 95 so I have to check that out. So basically it's not a very good log. Hopefully, tomorrow I can get another one with a full 100% throttle.

Attachments

• log.2016.04.03-04.elg
    24 KB · Views: 85
AFR's are lining up a bit better now. Here is another VE table with some adjustments that should bring everything in line.

Looking at the current VE data, it's getting higher than I would like it to. This is more than likely a global fuel issue. Don't worry about changing the global yet, we will do that after the VE table is sorted out.

For now, save the attached VE table and give it another go.

Attachments

• SD #2.ecm
    4.7 KB · Views: 121
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back