The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Something is slipping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90AWDTalon

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2003
Everett, Washington
I went drag racing Friday, every run something was slipping. It happened twice in second, twice in third, and once in both second and fourth. Every time it happened at gear change. I would shift gear as soon as I was back on the throttle it went straight to the rev limiter, I let up and hit the throttle hard again and had full grip. I was running on 225/40/18 azenis rt-615, I have a horsepower freaks cintered bronze clutch with an act 2600 pp, and I still have the 175,000 mile original center lsd. I've been running this setup all year and haven't had a hint of slippage prior to Friday.

I've got three theories:
1) Wheel spin - Other people were complaining about the track being greasy, but I dought this was what was happening since the 4th gear slip would have been at 100 mph.

2) Clutch slippage - This clutch is suppossed to hold over 700whp, I've only made about 35-40 drag launches on it and 2500 street miles tops. There was no burnt clutch smell, but does a cintered bronze clutch stink when it slips? And with just a quick on off on the gas I had no slippage any more. Every other experience I've had with a slipping clutch the grip didn't return instantly, it was gradual.

3)Center LSD - This is the original 175,000 mile unit, it has been abused for the 3.5 years and 35,000 miles I've had the car. Also driving home after breaking my rear diff a couple months ago wasn't good for it. I'm theorizing that the lsd was reacting slowly, it wasn't locking the front and rear together causing one set up wheels to spin then by the time I let off and got back on it the viscous goo was heated up and locking the front and rear together.

Here's a link to the thread I started in the track section of this forum. I have some logs showing the slippage posted there.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241283

Anyone have any thoughts or idea's?

I have seen this happen with a broken axle. It was not pushed into the splines the way it should have been. The car would drive fine until you tried to give it any boost. Then it would act like the clutch was slipping BAD.

I dont know if the clutch would be your issue if you have had good luck so far with it. And I would agree with you that I dont think it would be wheel spin.

I hope this helped at all.

Jake H

topstreet said:
I have seen this happen with a broken axle. It was not pushed into the splines the way it should have been. The car would drive fine until you tried to give it any boost. Then it would act like the clutch was slipping BAD.

I dont know if the clutch would be your issue if you have had good luck so far with it. And I would agree with you that I dont think it would be wheel spin.

I hope this helped at all.

Jake H

Did this car pass the standard lift one wheel at time and spin it test? I did this and mine passed.

I called horsepower freaks and they said it could be any of many different issue with the clutch, the center diff, the front diff, or the center lsd. When I mention that I still had the orignial lsd he said that could definiately be the problem. And the best thing to do is drop the transmission and take a look at the pressure plate and disk, to see if any bolts have backed out, if the clutch is glazed, or if anything is broken. So unless any one as anything to add I'll be dropping the transmission today or tomorrow.

I pulled the clutch out, nothing is broken, still has plenty of material on the clutch disk. Unsure of how to diagnos if its glazed or not. Heres some pics let me know what you think. I also pulled out the center lsd, I don't know if these can leak or not, but I found some clear silicon like substance on the splines inside the coupler. I also found some on the spline inside the center diff. But didn't see any any where else. I'm going to pull the center diff out tomarrow to inspect it.

Attachments

• DSCN0900 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0900 (Small).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0901 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0901 (Small).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0902 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0902 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0903 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0903 (Small).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 112
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back