The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

So I plan on upgrading my turbo soon..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etay89

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Alright, here's the mod's I got so far:

-full custom catback exhaust (from the manifold to the muffler, all 3" piping, however there's a hole somewhere along the way...)
-mbc
-cold air intake
-boost gauge

Here's what I plan on getting installed in the next few weeks:

-TD05 16G
-downpipe all the way to the high flow cat
-new manifold and j-pipe
-SMIC piping kit
-o2 sensor housing
-3 gauge pod pillar with oil temp and air/fuel gauges
-255 lph fuel pump and afpr
-hks type 1 turbo timer

now i got questions:

1-the last maintenance i have to do is give it a tune up. what are really good spark plugs/wires to get? i researched a bit and see that the NGK BPR7ES would be a good choice. what about wires?

2-are there any other parts "must have" parts i should get?

3- the turbo timer i'd like to get is the hks type 1. i'll get it $150 shipped. is there any other good turbo timers i can get with similar features(cause i am a bit tight on money)? also at the same time, i don't want nothing cheap, preferably apexi, greddy, or hks ?

4- the thing i'm most worried about is the fuel injectors. would it be a good idea to upgrade them now or can it run with this setup for less than a month before i switch them out?

5-comments/questions/concerns

thanks for any help. much appreciated:hellyeah:

150$ for a turbo timer is pricey, I got my greddy full auto and harness for like 60$ Look on ebay that's where I got mine. Also make sure you get the harness so you don't have to splice wires and what not.

150$ for a turbo timer is pricey, I got my greddy full auto and harness for like 60$ Look on ebay that's where I got mine. Also make sure you get the harness so you don't have to splice wires and what not.

that's what i'm looking on
hks type 1 -$143-150
apexi turbo timer- $110-115
greddy-around $110
hks type 0- around $100

I have the HKS type 0, I'm real happy with it. You'll need injectors and a fuel management system to make the injectors work properly.

is it a NOW thing or something that can wait a little bit.

once again...i'm a bit tight on money...thank goodness i get paid weekly:cool:

Well the stock injectors are pretty much maxed out on the stock turbo so I'd say yes. Cheapest way to do it would probably be to get an used AFC for $120 and a set of EVO injectors for $100.

ok thanks

any other needed parts?
what about the spark plugs and wires?

NGK plug wires & NGK plug's bpr7es should work great for you.

Greddy T.T. Type II is the one I have & I like it.

RC 550cc injectors are great & a Apexi SAFC-II is also good on a budget imo these are what I run.

I run a FP BT-28 & it's a direct bolt-on so no need for a install kit.

If your going to run a SMIC try & pick-up a Dejon or a Hahn Racecraft SMIC I have the latter & I love it imo.

I also run the Dejon SMIC pipes.

Alright, here's the mod's I got so far:

-full custom catback exhaust (from the manifold to the muffler, all 3" piping, however there's a hole somewhere along the way...)
-mbc
-cold air intake
-boost gauge

Here's what I plan on getting installed in the next few weeks:

-TD05 16G
-downpipe all the way to the high flow cat
-new manifold and j-pipe
-SMIC piping kit
-o2 sensor housing
-3 gauge pod pillar with oil temp and air/fuel gauges
-255 lph fuel pump and afpr
-hks type 1 turbo timer

now i got questions:

1-the last maintenance i have to do is give it a tune up. what are really good spark plugs/wires to get? i researched a bit and see that the NGK BPR7ES would be a good choice. what about wires?

2-are there any other parts "must have" parts i should get?

3- the turbo timer i'd like to get is the hks type 1. i'll get it $150 shipped. is there any other good turbo timers i can get with similar features(cause i am a bit tight on money)? also at the same time, i don't want nothing cheap, preferably apexi, greddy, or hks ?

4- the thing i'm most worried about is the fuel injectors. would it be a good idea to upgrade them now or can it run with this setup for less than a month before i switch them out?

5-comments/questions/concerns

thanks for any help. much appreciated:hellyeah:

well it looks like you started out ok. i would suggest you chage all the supporting elements befor slapping the 16g on. here is the route I'm taking. brakes, rims, & tires...done
evo III o2 housing...done
Megan racing 3" downpipe...done
Megan racing 3" catback...done
ceramic coated hafe performance exhaust manifold... in the back seat
walbro 255 fuel pump... in the back seat
ecmlink... next payday
Hahn racecraft super16g/fuel injectors...the following payday
battery relocatioin... thinking about it

as you can see if you do the mods in a well thought out chronological order you will have everything tested and in place before you start laying down the horsepower with the new turbo.

just my thoughts on the matter.

One statement for you. Do all supporting mods before the turbo. Then you don't have to worry about not being able to afford them or maxing out the stock stuff.

Which 16g do you plan on installing? I have a small 16g on my car and was hitting 124% IDC at 12-14 lbs. of boost. The magic number to stay under is 85%. Just to give you an idea as to how small the stock injectors are.

A new exhaust manifold isn't needed unless there's a problem with yours. Same thing with the o2 housing.

I hope the air/fuel gauge you plan on buying is a wideband. A narrowband gauge won't help you at all.

Ditch the turbo timer for now, as it's not needed.

How much boost do you plan on running with the new setup? The 7ES plugs are recommended once you're running over 17 lbs.

An oil pressure gauge would be much more beneficial than an oil temperature gauge. Our cars get messed up really quickly when out of the blue our oil pressure goes to zero.

So, to sum it up.
-Don't buy the turbo timer, exhaust manifold, o2 housing, oil temperature gauge, or air/fuel gauge (if you're referring to a narrowband).

-The downpipe is ok, as is the hard intercooler piping. You might want to consider a cheap front mount at some point, depending on how much you're planning on spending for the hard piping. You can get an SSAC or VR Speed front mount for around $300 shipped.

-I'd say you've made a good choice on the 255 and AFPR combo.

-Pick up a tuning/logging package and some bigger injectors. There are plenty of routes to go with this (SAFC, ECMlink/Lite version, CeddyMod, Evo ECU, etc.) so do some searching. Keep in mind the SAFC has a 660cc injector limit.

With picking up the supporting mods first, this will allow you to install the turbo and not have to worry about other parts of your system being pushed to/past their limits.

One statement for you. Do all supporting mods before the turbo. Then you don't have to worry about not being able to afford them or maxing out the stock stuff.

Which 16g do you plan on installing? I have a small 16g on my car and was hitting 124% IDC at 12-14 lbs. of boost. The magic number to stay under is 85%. Just to give you an idea as to how small the stock injectors are.

A new exhaust manifold isn't needed unless there's a problem with yours. Same thing with the o2 housing.

I hope the air/fuel gauge you plan on buying is a wideband. A narrowband gauge won't help you at all.

Ditch the turbo timer for now, as it's not needed.

How much boost do you plan on running with the new setup? The 7ES plugs are recommended once you're running over 17 lbs.

An oil pressure gauge would be much more beneficial than an oil temperature gauge. Our cars get messed up really quickly when out of the blue our oil pressure goes to zero.

So, to sum it up.
-Don't buy the turbo timer, exhaust manifold, o2 housing, oil temperature gauge, or air/fuel gauge (if you're referring to a narrowband).

-The downpipe is ok, as is the hard intercooler piping. You might want to consider a cheap front mount at some point, depending on how much you're planning on spending for the hard piping. You can get an SSAC or VR Speed front mount for around $300 shipped.

-Pick up a tuning/logging package and some bigger injectors. There are plenty of routes to go with this (SAFC, ECMlink/Lite version, CeddyMod, Evo ECU, etc.) so do some searching. Keep in mind the SAFC has a 660cc injector limit.

With picking up the supporting mods first, this will allow you to install the turbo and not have to worry about other parts of your system being pushed to/past their limits.

well, i bought the car used. keep that in mind. i figure if there's a part that can be replaced, replace it. to reply to everything you said.

-all the parts you said to NOT buy..too late i did. i want the turbo timer because i'm not a patient person. my manifold and o2 sensor housing are rusty like no other. the gauges are also narrowband as well (keep in mind, i have NO intentions on highly tuning this, just want my car to have a bit more umph in it). also the spark plugs are there for whenever i wanna take this car even further. truthfully speaking, i dont care. i just love my car and want to get it new parts. i also plan on rebuilding the engine and tranny next winter.

-ill get a fmic in the future...when i have a bit more money and the snow is all melted away LOL

-thanks as far as the fuel pump and afpr choice

-i just got a safc2 and i ordered 550cc injectors as well.

here's the official list of everything i just recently ordered.

-small 16g turbo
-manifold, o2 sensor housing.
-hard intercooler piping and steel oil lines
-ngk 10.2mm spark plug wires and ngk bpr7es plugs
-255lph fuel pump and afpr
-safc2
-oil temp and air fuel gauges
-greddy turbo timer
-o2 sensor (my car was throwing error codes)
-550cc injectors

*for poops and giggles, a pioneer avic-u310bt :hellyeah:...but performance wise...dont matter much*

i think i'm in pretty good shape :thumb: unless im missin something:ohdamn:

you really should ditch the narrow band and go with a wideband if you want to have proper readings for a tune. And also I was looking at you pictures, and please tell my your not still running that rigged old air filter. If so just buy a new filter and adapter, I just got and adapter for $6.00 on ebay.

Edit. Never mind i see you have an adapter but whats the deal with the scotch tape? LOL

you really should ditch the narrow band and go with a wideband if you want to have proper readings for a tune. And also I was looking at you pictures, and please tell my your not still running that rigged old air filter. If so just buy a new filter and adapter, I just got and adapter for $6.00 on ebay.

Edit. Never mind i see you have an adapter but whats the deal with the scotch tape? LOL

for the record, my adapter snapped, so I got an aluminum adapter. I will get a new air filter and run like 4 bottles of fuel system cleaner. Lol.

On that SAFC its going to be very hard to tune the without a wideband I truly would get one.

Keep in mind its all about the tune, you might have the best of the best but without a tune your not going anywhere.

One thing I did not see you putting down on your list is a BOV my stock 2g BOV held a massive 8PSI : ) I would get a Greddy or even a 1g BOV

Now for some Low Cost Sweet Mods:
Prothane Motor Mounts "I love Mine" $70
Shifter Bushings $13
Remove charcoal canister $free
EGR Block Off $6

High End But Great:
DSM LINK $345
Cams $180 - $500
Intake Manifold $400 - $800
MLS Head Gasket and Studs $175

I'd disagree with you on that front. If in the interest of saving money, the 190lph or better yet a used Evo 8/9 fuel pump would be sufficient for any of the 16g models. This would also mean that an AFPR is not required for the car to be able to control fuel pressure.

There are only 2 situations in which I would do the 255lph and AFPR:
1) The OP plans on running some sort of Ethanol blend if it is readily available to them.
2) They plan on going bigger down the road.

For me, the bread and butter setup for a 16g is as follows:
-2g manifold
-Undivided hotside (for use with an internal wastegate)
-2g or EvoIII o2 housing
-2.5-3" downpipe
-3" catback
-Evo 8/9 fuel injectors
-Wally 190 or Evo 8/9 fuel pump
-full hard pipes for the stock sidemount (anything 15PSI and under)
Or FMIC with full charge pipes 16PSI+
-SAFC+Logger

Although I do like future proofing myself, if it is a need to have basis then I believe the 255lph is out.

I agree that a 190/Evo pump would be just fine for the setup if the OP is trying to save a bit of money. But he mentioned nothing about this and I almost always suggest that combo since at some point almost everyone will want to go bigger. If they say "I only want 350hp" or "This is the biggest turbo I will ever buy" then I'll recommend a smaller pump.

Good point though. I don't always think about budget as I will wait longer and save up more if it means I don't have to upgrade again in a few years.

my budget isn't large, but it's also not small. i have bigger and better plans for this car in the future. probably later this year (november-december), i plan on getting my engine and tranny both rebuilt. i'll also get widebands (if i decide to go bigger). i just want to make sure my car isn't running lean. that's the ONLY thing i care about (but i dont want it running rich either).

for the record, i'm buying the turbo off my coworker who had a talon in which he decided to wrap around a telephone pole LOL. the turbo will come with a greddy type s bov.

no offense guys, i appreciate all of the help but most of you are not seeing my true objective. i don't want to go fast, i want a fast car. a similar analogy...i don't want to shoot people but i want a gun. i just want to have the power available (just like i want the power to be able to shoot people). i might take it to a track and a dyno maybe once just to see what it can do...but after that, it wont be for awhile. most of the parts i got so far, some aren't necessary, some arent good enough and some parts are overkill for what i want. example, the fuel pump. i KNOW i could have went with a wally 190 but i chose not to because i want to make sure my car has the best parts available now (### say i do get a bigger turbo, i just wasted my money on the smaller fuel pump and i need to get another one). i should have gotten wideband and i know that, but 1)couldn't afford it and 2) i just want an idea.

this is pretty much just my to/from work car with the occasional "sunny day, put the top down, and wink at chicks at bus stops" type car LOL. it's not for performance..but i also wanna make sure that i don't blow up the car as well. that's all i'm trying to achieve BUT i also want a window of opportunity if i decide to upgrade.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back