The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Sinister 8" converter shows promising results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboDSM90

Freelancer
Aug 20, 2002
Bay Area, California
Yes, I am plastering this all over the big forums. Its big news!!! :hellyeah:

Mike over at Sinister Speed is onto something.

He is producing an 8" converter that will hopefully help us 1G auto guys out.

I believe there is less than a handful of DSMrs out there with this converter, but so far it has been promising testing it out just on the motor...on jackstands. :(

It crept up to 4200 rpms before pulling through the brakes. This is all off the bottle, no charge pipes hooked up, on the motor (no boost).

I got everything nice and hot, played with it for a bit off idle and such. I made sure the trans temp gauge was reading and got the trans fluid up to around 125*.

After messing with it for a bit in the log that I attached, I got the trans temps up to about 140*. So I would say yes it produces heat, but thats to be expected.

I set the MSD 2 step up to about 5000rpms just to see what the converter could give me until it pushed through the brakes. The highest I got out of it was 4200 rpms, the other two times it hit 4000rpms until it pushed through the brakes. Still on the motor, without the charge pipes hooked up. The motor will be 2 years old in April. Same rings, lots of blowby, about 130 compression across all 4 cylinders. As soon as the 2.1 is done, this one will go through a freshen up.

Here is a screen shot for those of you without V3 or that dont want to download the log.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I hope the 4202 can spool up decently without the nitrous..ok ok, maybe thats asking for too much :(

Attachments

• log.2011.12.22-03.elg
    30.5 KB · Views: 73
If this converter works, does it mean that it may spool lets say a 35r or something equivalent within reasonable amount of time? For example, within 5 seconds and no nitrous? Im definitely waiting for some positive outcome on the 8" converter.

If this converter works, does it mean that it may spool lets say a 35r or something equivalent within reasonable amount of time? For example, within 5 seconds and no nitrous? Im definitely waiting for some positive outcome on the 8" converter.

Thats the plan.

I guess im stuck with the 10" on my daily with a 6262. What kind of results did you get with the 10" version?? Looks like I may be purchasing the 8" one for my race car. 4200 engine alone is pretty good. I dont think you will have any issues building boost.

Any updates ?

I'm running an IPT restall on my 2G and it stalls up to only about 3200 on motor which is enough to generate 15 psi out of a 3065 in under 4 seconds. If this thing goes to 4200 on motor, you'll have no issues spooling a much larger turbo. Just trying to provide some context, that's all.

I was just hoping for some more driving input..I need a new converter but not ready to spend $900 to be a test mule;)...

I also have the 8" but the car won't be done until spring. As soon as I get some testing as well I will post the results.

I ended up stripping 2 threads in the converter mounting pads. A helicoil wasnt gonna hold, so I pulled it out and sent it back to sinister for a cover swap. Should be back by saturday and back together by next week.

I was wondering if there was any updates to this converter. I spoke with Sinister the week before they released this getting imput on converters, and he told me about the 8" about to get released. My motors ready now, and I am in a catch 22 position between my reflashed converter, and a 9 or 8".

My Pats Converters reflashed stock one was pretty good on a old built 2.4. On a 40 shot I would get 4000ish out of it on a 4294 JB. Im hoping with a fresh motor, and some changes, with a smaller converter this might do the trick off the bottle. But its kinda scary because I would like to see how efficent it is on the big end of the track as some people brought up to me. I guess its going to be trial and error.

I went through some issues on getting the converter back, and then having to send it back to sinister and wait for it a 3rd time.

I should have everything buttoned up in a couple weeks.

Apparently its horrible on the street but will make a great drag TC because its so loose. Ted will chime in here eventually I'm sure.

Any updates?

From what I posted on the link forums.

Just a heads up...this thing is LOOSE. Whoever drives their car on the street will not like the fact that the car doesn't get moving until 3500-3750 rpms. It pretty much holds there the whole time. I havent taken it on the freeway, but I can only imagine the drone at 4500-5000rpms.

I think the street car thing flew out the window with this converter.

Builds 10psi@4500rpms on the 4202 like a champ though! No nitrous to spool yet.

EDIT-Im running the 8" level 5, 2.0L 8.5:1 compression.

I talked to some custom converter building guys including Steve at Pat converters who flashed mine. He said a converter like a 8" would definitely benefit a high revving motor, but really knowing how efficient it is up top is the key thing. I honestly think for a street car I wouldnt consider less then a 10" maybe a 9".

I am just going to run my reflashed Pats converter. It worked very well before, and I feel it was pretty damn efficient up top on my setup. I wanna get it running, get it dialed in and when all is good then I might play around with a different one. It must be a street car so the 8" might be out of the question.

Just for the record, I am going to give this thing a couple shots at driving around on the street. I am "that guy"... remember the aluminum rods? Ya..."that guy".

I plan on street driving mine alot... Not sure how well this converter is going to work then I guess Ill have to try to out and see.

I plan on street driving mine alot... Not sure how well this converter is going to work then I guess Ill have to try to out and see.

Aint you one of "those guys" too? :rocks:

I'm wondering what a level 1, 8" might do..Mike told me a level 3..There is a guy on another board with a level 3 and he says its too loose for a street car....
I guess I'm gonna half to put off a while longer, getting another converter..Kinda curious how the Buschur converter is gonna do...

Thats a bummer! Well, that is mainly if you want a street/track car. I guess the best option for street/track is the 10" converter? Ted, hopefully you do more testing and try a different fluid for some real world results, even if it helps a little bit. You have more of a drag car so the 8" will greatly benefit you. Thanks for the update too.

Mainly it's going to come down to how the converter works on the big end of the track. If the rpms are up(which teds car will be) the converter will work. I just would like to see some testing and results! Looking forward to it!

Aint you one of "those guys" too? :rocks:

Yep, The car should be up and running within a few months. Judging by these results and talking to Mike I think I am gonig to get mine restalled to be tighter. I also have a level 5 and seems like its going to be way to loose for my needs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back