The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Should I remove my catalytic converter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munster000

15+ Year Contributor
52
0
Sep 18, 2005
bloomington, Minnesota
I've got a 91 TSI with about all the 1st stage upgrades....

I've still got a catalytic converter, should I take it off? There are no emisions testing in mn, so that's not a problem. Is it possible my car won't run as good? Lose power? I've heard storys of people running into problems after doing this.

Thanks
 
Hack the sucker off. I won't get into a discussion about the environmental consequences because it would just cause a ruckus in here. If you have emissions where you live just do what I do - license your car in a state without emissions.
 
so, the CEL should go away then even if I don't bypass the 2nd O2 censor? I just don't want the CEL on, LOL - because if the computer sent a code for something else, then I wouldn't know it.....
 
There's a way to trick the ECU, but it sounds to me like you just want the car to work right and normal. Just buy a universal cat for $100 or less and weld it in. The reason the ECU sets code P0420 is because the rear O2 sensor is showing the same fluctuations in voltage as the front O2 sensor, therfore it knows the cat is not doing anything.

With a working cat, the front O2 wags up and down from about .2V to .8V about fifty times per minute, and the downstream one holds steady at about .5V after the cat warms up.
 
For the OP, just look online for all the parts it's really not that hard. Google it if you have to. I've come across them accidently looking for other parts.

And for "bkvail" yes you can get high flow cats for less than $120, then just buy some flanges and have your husband weld them on then bolt it up. You'll also need a gasket of some sort or some high-temp silicone gasket maker. Just look online for all the parts if you cant find them at your local part store. You should be able to get the gasket/gasket maker there, but i dont think you'll find the exhaust components you need there.
 
get yourself a 02 dump and then an open downpipe and your all set..the o2 dump will stop the boost creep...no cat=more power
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back
Top