The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Catalytic Converter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearlessNick

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
Casa Grande, Arizona
Mods, if you feel this is in the Erin place for this thread. Feel free to move it. As I could not think of a place to put it.

I did a rebuild, and my cat went bad. All I had was a CEL. I bought a tricker for my o2 to take care of the light.

But I'm starting to feel it drop in my power band. I figured the cat went bad because of having to lube everything up while doing the rebuild. So It got all that oil in it.

The question is, could this cat be my problem for that drop I'm feeling? It's been about 5000 miles on that cat since rebuild. So I'm thinking it's clogged up and restricting flow.

Exhaust and everything sounds fine. And it doesn't smell like its bad. Or maybe it doesn't smell bad enough to notice it.

Or what else could it be? Everything sounds and runs fine. I have fuel pressure. Have good amount of psi in the block. Intake is clean and throttle body is clean like a champ. Put 91 octane in it all the time. Gets good spark. No I don't have my a/c on.

Opinions?

- Nick
Email- [email protected]
Twitter- @FearlessNickCG
Vehicle- 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS

I feel a drop in power sometimes. When I'm getting semi hard on it, about 1/2 way to red line. I feel it step back in power.

My question is, I have a cat that has been bad according to CEL for about 5000 miles now. Can that be my problem?

- Nick
Email- [email protected]
Twitter- @FearlessNickCG

Most likely, yes. You're losing a lot of back pressure if your catalytic converter is indeed clogged. Now, I'm new to DSM builds and the entire system in general. But, is there a way to unbolt your downpipe and peer into the cat? If you see a lot of gunk and build up in there, it's most likely too clogged to perform well. I my opinion, to get more power, I would go with a high flow replacement cat. Unless you don't need to worry about emissions, perhaps a straight pipe with a silencer would increase your power even more.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.075347,-93.324434
Sent from myPhone using myThumbs

My county has no emissions. But I plan on selling my RS and getting a GSX. So I'm probably going to need to replace it. And I can check. When I added my headers I had to weld before the cat. The pervious owner took out the flange for some reason.

- Nick
Email- [email protected]
Twitter- @FearlessNickCG

Yea I would deffidently have to go with a bad cat. I ahd a 95 gs and the cat started to go go bad/get clogged and lost some power. When I took it off sure enough you couldnt really even see throught the damn thing at all! So i replaced it with a magnaflow sounds good and got back power. But now I have a nice gst good luck on finding a good gsx

Alright thanks.

Website that be a good cheap place? That knows about these cars? I was thinking about jegs. But my friend just bought cats from them and they sent the wrong ones.

But I will defiantly get a new cat here soon once I find a good cheap one.

Anybody know the stock tubing size by chance?

1998 Eclipse RS with a 420a.

- Nick
Email- [email protected]
Twitter- @FearlessNickCG

if you dont have emissions and you already tripped the cel you might as well just take off the cat and run a test pipe.

That's what I was thinking to do. But I plan on throwing it on Craigslist and sell it to someone and they live somewhere where you have to do emissions.

So just to avoid all of that I'm just going to replace with high flow.

- Nick
Email- [email protected]
Twitter- @FearlessNickCG

Or just drop that old cat off at a scrapyard. If I remember right I got like $60 bucks or so for mine, maybe more.

its gonna get louder. and last i checked the dmv does not inspect cars unless they do in az. i know in ny you have to go to a inspection station.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back