The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Should I Port My .55 AR BEP Housing's Wastegate or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My hx40 recently failed and I couldn't figure out why. It was never pushed too hard never over 25psi or 42lb/min. Lasted 5 years before it failed though. I run a turbo blanket and header wraped o2. Wonder if it was the heat that caused it. *sigh* guess it's time to switch.
Were you using the .55 housing too??

Ok so I guess Im gonna go with a .70 or bigger hotside and go FULL RACE.

Who builds or has the best top mounted tubular headers with like two wastegate ports?

Flip I guess I should start ordering spare trannies now too.

This is too much fun!!

Who builds or has the best top mounted tubular headers with like two wastegate ports?

This is too much fun!!
I'd say stick with the stock twin scroll housing, but I also don't have any experience what so ever with twin scroll setups, but everything I've seen says they are that perfect in-between for quick spool and top end power.
I know @Archer Fabrications has some pretty mean manifolds, I'm not so sure about twin scroll tho. When I go t3 eventually, I'll be getting an Archer manifold.

I'd say stick with the stock twin scroll housing, but I also don't have any experience what so ever with twin scroll setups, but everything I've seen says they are that perfect in-between for quick spool and top end power.
I know @Archer Fabrications has some pretty mean manifolds, I'm not so sure about twin scroll tho. When I go t3 eventually, I'll be getting an Archer manifold.
Thanks for the referral!

I'm doing twinscroll t4 bottom mount, then stock replacements,, then T4 divided top mount, after i work out runner design for the divided t4 manifolds, it will be easy to use a t3 divided instead of t4 divided flange. The reason ive been putting it on the back burner is cause 1. Slammed with open scroll orders, and two, i need to take time to do some r&d for runner pairing and make it look good. Just haven't had time cause it takes a little longer weaving pipes under each other but it will come eventually, ive had a few people asking about it, and i promise I'll get there eventually :)

You definitely want to port the wastegate hole on a .55 BEP housing if you want to control boost properly through the entire RPM range regardless of what boost level you're running, although the higher your boost level is the less you'll have to worry about creep. I've found the stainless housings can be rather-difficult to port by hand so I've graduated to getting them CNC milled to a full 38mm. LOL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There folks, is the person that knows the answer!!! Thanks Justin for your input!!! That WG port looks GREAT, and BIG LOL.

This is too much fun!!
@Archer Fabrications FTW!!!
I have seen his FB page with all the beautiful mani's on it and they are works of art.
Keep it up Kyle!

Thanks for the referral!

I'm doing twinscroll t4 bottom mount, then stock replacements,, then T4 divided top mount, after i work out runner design for the divided t4 manifolds, it will be easy to use a t3 divided instead of t4 divided flange. The reason ive been putting it on the back burner is cause 1. Slammed with open scroll orders, and two, i need to take time to do some r&d for runner pairing and make it look good. Just haven't had time cause it takes a little longer weaving pipes under each other but it will come eventually, ive had a few people asking about it, and i promise I'll get there eventually :)

Oh yeah those ARE SWEET! Do you have any of the T3 in stock? If not whats the lag time?

For those who haven't seen these beauts click here....
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/archer-fab-t3-standard-placement-turbo-manifolds.506627/

You definitely want to port the wastegate hole on a .55 BEP housing if you want to control boost properly through the entire RPM range regardless of what boost level you're running, although the higher your boost level is the less you'll have to worry about creep. I've found the stainless housings can be rather-difficult to port by hand so I've graduated to getting them CNC milled to a full 38mm. LOL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks JusMX141. OK What die grinder tip or tips did you use before you had them CNC'd?

Pneumatic Ingersoll with a $25 carbide burr...it works, it just takes an eternity, and the chips aren't magnetic so cleanup is atrocious. I'd rather pay someone to CNC it instead of lose three hours of valuable time in which I could be doing anything other than porting. :p

Thanks for all you help guys. If you get lost in Lincoln Nebraska and need a place to couch surf. Ring me up!

Thanks Justin if I'm keeping my bep looks like I'll find someone to cnc it instead.
Yours is ready to bolt on and run...I ported it a fair amount before it left. The housings come from Bullseye with a hole barely large enough for a penny to fit through...which I don't understand as they're already going through such a crazy amount of machining to make the housing they may as well just open the hole up to a full 38mm while they're at it. I'd guess roughly 99% of the buyers are using an external gate on the o2 housing anyway.

Yours is ready to bolt on and run...I ported it a fair amount before it left. The housings come from Bullseye with a hole barely large enough for a penny to fit through...which I don't understand as they're already going through such a crazy amount of machining to make the housing they may as well just open the hole up to a full 38mm while they're at it. I'd guess roughly 99% of the buyers are using an external gate on the o2 housing anyway.
Or flapper welded shut, and external off manifold

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back