The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Short block advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbgriffin

Proven Member
Jun 14, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
So I'm gearing up to do a basic overhaul on my 6 bolt, and need some opinions. I'm on a tight shoe string budget, and my goal is just a basic refresh. The engine currently runs descent, with average compression numbers (152-156). But burns lots of oil. About a quart every 200 miles. Also seems to be a descent amount of blow-by, and lacking power at times. Would like to rebuild before it gets worse.
So I've been looking into options for stock replacement piston and rings, rod and main bearing, and a cheap gasket set. Would like some opinions on these brands before buying. For piston and rings either, top-line, sealed power (rings only), or NPR(Nippon)? For bearings ACL, king, or sealed power? For my gasket set I was thinking either top-line, or fel-pro? Now I should state my goal is only 300whp, no more than 20psi. And I'm trying to get it done for $500 for parts, and $500 machine work. The head is good to go, completely rebuilt to stock a year ago.
I apologise if I'm not posting in the right forum, but would really appreciate some expert advice. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'd say go NPR pistons and rings, ACL bearings, and for the gasket set I was happy with the OEM Engine Overhaul Kit that ExtremePSI sells, Felpro if you're trying to save some cash on gaskets. If you think you might go with that OEM set of gaskets from ExtremePSI I'd recommend contacting them to see exactly what gaskets are in the set. There's nothing worse than ordering something and finding out it's either missing a gasket and/or has a lot of gaskets you won't use and waste your money buying them.

This is the right forum, nice to see someone using a forum outside of the Newbie Forum for a change!

Here are a few links to the Felpro gaskets...

6-bolt lower gasket set
6-bolt head gasket set

I've ordered the overhaul gasket set from ExtremePsi a couple times and each time it came with multiples for certain gaskets. Like I think it comes with 3 rear main seal cover gaskets so you can choose which one goes to your engine. I still have seals and gaskets from those sets I've never used and probably never will because they don't go to a standard DSM 6 or 7 bolt 4g63.

Yeah that's the direction I'm leaning toward. I know NPR is made in Japan, and is OEM supplier for Nissan, Mitsubishi, and others I'm sure. But I was suspect of the rings being pretty cheap. I've read that at least the top compression ring should be chrome moly for a turbo build?
For the gaskets I noticed that when I did my head job, going fel-pro upper gasket set. It's meant for alot of makes and models. So I had lots of leftovers. But it is cheaper than the OEM set from extreme, and I haven't had any issues with fel-pro at my power level. I see extreme has a top-line complete gasket set for dirt cheap. Haven't had any experience with them, so I'll probably stick with fel-pro or OEM. And have decided not to go cheap on bearings, ACL for sure. Probably just there basic set, not the tri-metal. To much riding on that to be cheap!
I'm blessed with an awesome machinist, that I fully trust. Good family friend, so I get it pretty cheap too. My goal is getting it overhauled over the winter, take my time. Have it to enjoy at it's best next spring. So thanks again for your input, it's great to know I have this resource when I need it:thumb:!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back