The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shifting method for "drag only" MT to auto swap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys i have been putting together Parts to do a auto conversion. So far i have access to a 91 tsi awd auto has everything but the motor. Do i have to swap the rear ends i hope not since its a 3 bolt and i have a 4 bolt in the car now. The car also has the complete virgin harness in very nice shape. Only issue is my buddy said the tranny didnt slip but it just dont shift possibly just the tcu is bad.
Sorry for highjacking the thread

For those looking for info on the ratchet shifter cable attachment pics. Finally getting around to adding my info and pics in here for those who want a bit of a visual. This was my post to a member on another board that asked the question:

This is what I did.

Bracket
Cable attachment
Cable end
Top view
Bracket and lever

I found that the main issue I was having is that the space between the gear selections was not the same distance. If I remember correctly it was larger between park and reverse and then the rest were the same spacing apart.

Built a new shifter cable bracket at the trans and modified the stock PRNDL lever/bracket with one of the Hurst ends.

You can see in the one pic where I marked each shifter lever location with a marker on the PRNDL switch. This helped when mocking up the cable and running through the adjustments easier visually to make sure I was hitting each gear properly before I welded everything up.
Was a pain in the ass, Took me about 5 hours to get everything figured out to where it was shifting properly and then welding it and fine tuning the cable.

I went off pictures of Jeff Bush's 2g trans conversion that Aaron from English had posted on Evotech but I think that forum went down I can't find the link anymore.

View of the Shifter in the car
Shifter assembly mounting bracket in the car

Shifter bracket when I was fabbing it up I ended up having to cut it off and move it back about an inch or two from these pics as when it was bolted into the console it was just hitting the console front edge when in park.
modified stock base
modified base and shifter

Hope this helps.

Nice install. I just put mine in this past saturday, i didn't take the time to make a plate, I just drilled some holes and used bolts and exhaust manifold lock nuts to hold the hurst to the shifter base plate. It's not going anywhere that's for sure.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

In park:

In ratchet mode:

Cable mounted:

sorry to resurect some dead threadness....

but loving this and been trying to find some info of people with ratchet autos...

got a galant vr4 with build 2.4 67mill turbo and build auto. i just have the kiggly free wiring setup now using a stock shifter and it sucks having no ratchet action.....

how do those those shifters /\/\/\/\/\ actually ratchet.... all the ones i have seen have a separate handle you have to use to click into the next gear....?

but loving this and been trying to find some info of people with ratchet autos...

got a galant vr4 with build 2.4 67mill turbo and build auto. i just have the kiggly free wiring setup now using a stock shifter and it sucks having no ratchet action.....

how do those those shifters /\/\/\/\/\ actually ratchet.... all the ones i have seen have a separate handle you have to use to click into the next gear....?

I'm in the process of doing mine as well and I'll share my proces;)

The one I use doesn't have a separate handle to shift. The little handle you're referring to is just the reverse lockout and isn't used at all when shifting. On mine, I have to lift the entire handle up from the neutral position to be able to move the shifter into reverse or park.

How does a ratchet shifter work

Pretty much any three speed ratchet shifter can be made to work in our cars. I've seen some pretty good deals on used units on ebay, that's where I got mine a couple years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back