The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Saturn Alternator Bracket That Works Like OEM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a simple bracket that will retain the function and location of the OEM tensioner and still work perfect with your Saturn alternator.

I've seen various bracket ideas but this one combines ideas I've seen from two DSMTuners members, H@xtGSX and I'm sorry but I can't remember the other member but his idea uses a straight piece instead. I'll update the How-To if it comes to me later.

Anyway, this bracket method keeps the alignment of the OEM tensioner screw at the correct angle and allows you to lock-down your setting in the bracket slot just as you would with the stock alternator.

Materials:
  • (2x) bolts, nuts, lock washers (I'll update with sizes)
  • (1x) 6" x 1/8" x 1" flat steel

Tools
  • Drill
  • Wrenches
  • Vise

I don't think there needs to be too much explanation as to how this works.
You can look at the picture and see that it is simply 2 - 45* bends and two holes drilled on either end to join the alternator to the stock adjuster.
Note: You may notice that you can go with a straight piece here without the 45's but then I found it throws off the angle of the adjustment screw when you put it under the triangle block thingy. Also, it's not exactly a straight line from the alternator to the bracket so it's in in there a bit cocked. Locating the flat steel to the outside of the triangle block eliminates all of that.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How it's done
  • First, if you haven't already done so get your block, and alternator grinding done until you have an acceptable range of movement.
  • Now with the bottom pivot bolt holding the alternator on, place something (I used a screwdriver handle) under your alternator to hold it all the way up at the maximum position.
  • Unscrew the OEM ajustment screw from the triangle block until only one or two threads are showing from the end.
  • Place your OEM ajdustment screw in it's notch and use a bolt, lock washer, and nut to hold the triangle block in the long slot in the bracket.
  • You should now have the OEM adjuster mounted with the adjuster fully extended and the alternator mounted being held at full height
Making the Bracket
  • Next, make your two 45* bends on your piece of flat steel
  • Lay the piece in place where it will sit and then mark the location of the holes
  • Drill your holes and trim any excess material from the ends Note: Drill your holes so they are a tight fit to your bolts. I did mine a bit bigger and had more play than I would like.
  • Paint it and mount it up.. You definately want to use lock washers here.
    You're done :)
    Now just tension your belt like you normally would have with your OEM alternator.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back