The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G S16G wastegate line not hooked up okay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen2g

Proven Member
Jan 9, 2019
Winnipeg, MB_Canada
Hello, ive been reading mixed answers about this question and im just wanting to make sure for peace of mind.
I just installed my small 16g and i was wanting to know if it was okay to not have the wastegate nipple connected to the jpipe nipple for a little while? The nipple on the WG broke so ill have to weld/jb weld a new nipple on there. I'm aware there is nothing to control boost so itll just keep going up in boost so is it fine for the line to not be connected for just a few days? *i will not be going into boost till its connected & yes ill plug the jpipe hole for the time being to prevent boost leaks.

thank you in advance!!!

For peace of mind, if it were my DSM, I would also disconnect the wga arm from the flapper so you cant over boost.

Also, I either recommend repairing your current wga by welding it (not JB Weld) or replacing it with one in good condition. If that JB Weld doesnt hold when your WOT guess what happens...

okayokay, ill most likely weld it but is jb weld rly that bad that it cant hold a nipple? LOL &i kinda of dont want to replace, first reason being is a new actuator would cost a ton and this current one works fine other than the broken nipple aha.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-26_23-18-50.png
    upload_2019-2-26_23-18-50.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 46
Hello, ive been reading mixed answers about this question and im just wanting to make sure for peace of mind.
I just installed my small 16g and i was wanting to know if it was okay to not have the wastegate nipple connected to the jpipe nipple for a little while? The nipple on the WG broke so ill have to weld/jb weld a new nipple on there. I'm aware there is nothing to control boost so itll just keep going up in boost so is it fine for the line to not be connected for just a few days? *i will not be going into boost till its connected & yes ill plug the jpipe hole for the time being to prevent boost leaks.

thank you in advance!!!
Just don't JB weld. It won't work. Even it would work for a while, one day JB weld would stop working and could damage the engine by over-shooting the boost.
Even welding may damage the diaphragm inside, and may cause boost leak. So the best way is replacing with a good one if possible. And as @gofer said, it is better to disconnect the WG arm from the flapper until you get it repaired or replaced. With this way you can avoid over-shooting the boost.

i have another question.. If you dont mind me asking.
https://www.extremepsi.com/store/Oil-Feedline-Kit-Head-Location-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-90-99.html
I got this for my feed line, the banjo bolt end connects to the head correct?
Cause the turbo end of my feed line is leaking a bit
Yes, that's supposed to be correct. Have different thread pitch, so you can't go vice versa. If leaking from between the cartridge and the AN fitting then slightly put some liquid type teflon sealant on the AN fitting thread (No RTV or Teflon tape to avoid to clog the oil feed hole)

Last edited:
Just don't JB weld. It won't work. Even it would work for a while, one day JB weld would stop working and could damage the engine by over-shooting the boost.
Even welding may damage the diaphragm inside, and may cause boost leak. So the best way is replacing with a good one if possible. And as @gofer said, it is better to disconnect the WG arm from the flapper until you get it repaired or replaced. With this way you can avoid over-shooting the boost.

Yes, that's supposed to be correct. Have different thread pitch, so you can't go vice versa. If leaking from between the cartridge and the AN fitting then slightly put some liquid type teflon sealant on the AN fitting thread (No RTV or Teflon tape to avoid to clog the oil feed hole)
okay ill put type of sealant a re tighten. The feed kit came with only one copper washer for the AN side, is that correct?
& i placed the washer before the fitting, screwed it tight, then screwed the AN fitting on. nothing between the fitting and AN fitting?

Yes, that is correct. That washer goes to between the cartridge and the male AN fitting (metric thread side). No washer / No sealant will be used between male and female AN fittings.
okok thats what i thought, ill got buy sealant tmrw and retighten everything.
thank you!!

You don't need sealant for AN fittings . Only a bit of oil to prevent galling the threads. The fittings seal on the beveled facen and the adapter seals with the crush washer, so just snug it up a touch more.

You don't need sealant for AN fittings . Only a bit of oil to prevent galling the threads. The fittings seal on the beveled facen and the adapter seals with the crush washer, so just snug it up a touch more.
Ill re tighten it tomorrow morning and see if it still leaks, if it still leaks a tad bit ill add sealant to the threads

Ill re tighten it tomorrow morning and see if it still leaks, if it still leaks a tad bit ill add sealant to the threads
Are you not listening? You do not use sealant on AN fittings. If a fitting leaks you need to find out why. Sealant is not a solution regarding AN fittings. That is not how they work.

Are you not listening? You do not use sealant on AN fittings. If a fitting leaks you need to find out why. Sealant is not a solution regarding AN fittings. That is not how they work.
LOL i was prolly half asleep and read everything wrong. mbmb

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back