The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

[RESOLVED] Question to do with shifting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992awdlaser

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2004
Wallace, North_Carolina
Does anybody know how/if this piece can be removed from the transmission?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are you asking about the entire shifter arm or just the little washer there your finger is on?

The shifter arm can be removed but it will require disassembling the transmissions internals and removing the shift rails and shift forks.

I am talking about the entire piece. My shifter is having a few problems like returning to center, not moving as easily as it should, and not moving all the way over for first. It is either because of that piece not moving up and down as easy as it should or the skateboard bearing on the other shift cable needs to move towards the passenger side. I am buying new bearings to try first. After a couple tests yesterday I think it is the bearing needing to be moved.

With the cables unhook see how well the leavers on the tranny move. If they center themselve . IF so then i would replace the bearing and make sure the cables are free try lubing the cables make sure they are free.

With the cables unhook see how well the leavers on the tranny move. If they center themselve . IF so then i would replace the bearing and make sure the cables are free try lubing the cables make sure they are free.

The reason I think it is the bearing is, I can leave the two bolts loose that go to the bell housing for the other bracket and it will shift fine. But the second I tighten them up the problems come back. I think when they are tightened down they make the cable bind because of the position of the skateboard bearing.

It's the position that the bearing is at on the shifter arm. It is not centered so it is pulling the end of the shifter cable toward the driver side of the car which makes the cable bind.

I know the thread was resolved but, what I was try to say was to check them since you put the new bushings on. When I did the bushings on my car they were a little off from the swap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back