The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved What do you think? Erratic shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesarlcase

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2009
lynbrook, New_York
Hey guys. Just to make this short, my 98 GSX has been having intermittent shift issues. This all started once I went with the 3g shifter w/ shift box. With the TCU operating, car shifts fine. My current issue is, I no longer have second gear. The gear display will show 2nd gear, but the car still remains in 1st, upshifting goes into 3rd gear, then i can shift to 4th. Upon downshifting, there is almost a 1min delay from 4-3rd. Car was running fine for weeks and all of a sudden this. Not sure if it's a solenoid issue or something more sinister, but this problem comes and goes, so figured I'd ask you guys for some information. The wiring was checked out for the box 2x, so that's been ruled out at this point. I also have a massive transcooler, was wondering if that and NY weather has something to do with it. Thanks for your Input in advance.

Update: it turns out that as I was driving to a shop in 2nd (still acting as first), it suddenly made a slight thud and my 2nd gear was back, along with normal operation of the transmission.

Nope. Youre the pro if Youve bypassed the tcm and installed your shift box.

Next option you have is to drop the pan and pull the solenoids and plates

Thanks for the smart comment, if I was a pro, I wouldn't be asking here. One I had shop install the box and secondly, all I did was pull the plugs out the TCU.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back