The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

[RESOLVED] Pretty Sure I Blew It Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habitatguy187

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
I was out last night for the first time since the new clutch install, car was feeling great, it was cold out, but I turned my boost down a little (18psi) just to let the car get "back in the swing of things". Ran a WOT run and it felt great, did it again and it felt even better this time, but right around 5500rpms in 4th gear I heard a "POP" and it kinda felt like fuel cut. Car shut off and I coasted to a stop.

Car will start up but it sounds like it's running on 3cyl. Also it looks like there's some fluid around the #1 exhaust runner, but it was hard to see anything. I assumed blown headgasket at the #1 but it's also making a horrible ticking noise coming from the head, we pushed it into another parking spot and the few drips that it left on the ground were definitely oil :?:

I"m going back over there today to get it but what should I look for? I know that I'm probably going to have to pull the head (unless it was a rocker arm or something) I just thought that it would be antifreeze coming out of the exhaust rather than oil.

First thing I would do is pull the upper timing cover and turn the motor by hand to make sure it didn't jump time. This way you know you aren't doing any more damage while repeatedly cranking and troubleshooting.

It probably didn't, but thats the first thing I always check on an interference motor that goes "pop" and shuts off.

GOOD NEWS!! :D

Blew off the lower IC pipe, first thing I noticed now that I got to see it in the light. Went ahead and checked timing and pulled the valve cover to check for anything unusual and found a very hardened piece of my old valve cover gasket in-between my cam gears, also realized that my exhaust manifold is making something like a ticking noise where I broke on of the studs putting it back on :? Oh and for the oil it appears to have come from my oil cap, there was some oil around the cap and I suppose that it sprayed in the direction of the exhaust manifold.

Either way all in all I'm very glad it wasn't something worse, I was pretty much out of hope once I saw the oil on the #1 runner and heard the noise.

Bet you're relieved!
How's the new clutch? Which one did you get?

Very relieved, I'm buying a house at the end of this month and I'll have to start driving to work (I work at the apts. I live at) This is my only daily right now since I'm letting my mom use the celica so I would've been pretty pressed for time on getting it done.

As for the clutch it's an Exedy Stage 1, the local shop screwed up my original Fidanza 2.1 order so to make up for it they upgraded me to the Exedy, it's not bad so far but we'll see how long it lasts, it didn't slip it all (even w/out a proper break-in :shhh: ) Even so I kinda wish I would've gotten something with a heavier pedal, though this is good since my wife can still drive it. It will probably hold all the power my car will ever have anyway, so really there's no reason for overkill for a daily clutch.

Although next time I do think I'll be getting the xtd stage 4 with unsprung puck disc, couple guys on here are claiming that they're great, even though other places say that they're crap. They're cheap and from ebay so that's the general consensus, but Jrohner (400 something tq on a 16g) has had one for awhile and it's doing great for him, so I'll probably give that a shot next time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back