The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] interference motor(4g64)??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersayianjim

Probationary Member
Oct 26, 2008
saint joseph, Missouri
well i finally found out what was really wrong.(read on previous post)Mirage Turbo/Colt GT • View topic - expo ecu compat??

so i got my new coil in and still nothing. i called a mechanic that was recommend by some guy and he said"the camshaft might be broken" so i pulled the valve cover and looked at the cam,not broken. got someone to crank the motor when the cover was off.. and viola!!! the belt wouldn't move. seems the belt teeth at the bottom of the motor were worn(due to the oil leak) and the bottom half of the engine was working without the top(i could feel the pistons going up and down).

the crankshaft would turn and so would the fanbelts,but the cam wouldnt. so which means no spark(leading me to believe it was the distriubuter. i had this comming all the miles on the car and it did have a leaky front main seal for over a yr.(needed a little longer.) so is my motor trashed?? i thought so so right before i was going to jump off a building.

i called the local orilies. and a guy told me that as long as the pistons are "dimpled for the valves"= non interference motor.
that all i would need to do is change the belt,tensioners,seals and set the timing and i should be good to go. he told me that "dimpless" = interference motors would have bent valves and it would then be toast.

is this guy full of shit or do i have a 2nd chance at life here?? also the mechanic i was talking to said the same thing. the motor was savable. he would do the work(labor only) for $190+50-towing charge. is this a deal($300.00-stealership labor) but when i got that price the car was working.can/has this been done?? i know for sure the 4g63t has the valve dimples,does the 64??

The 4g63t is an interferance motor and if the timing belt slips or breaks you will have bent valves. Im not 100% but i believe the 4g64 is the same. Do a simple compression test and see how all the cylnders check out.

It is an interferance motor,had an 03 galant at the shop 4g64 with a broken belt,i did not think it was interferance till i put new belt,w/p the whole works and when i started it boom misfire.Ended up doing a head job on it.Talk about a pissed off customer.

well i finally found out what was really wrong.(read on previous post)Mirage Turbo/Colt GT • View topic - expo ecu compat??

so i got my new coil in and still nothing. i called a mechanic that was recommend by some guy and he said"the camshaft might be broken" so i pulled the valve cover and looked at the cam,not broken. got someone to crank the motor when the cover was off.. and viola!!! the belt wouldn't move. seems the belt teeth at the bottom of the motor were worn(due to the oil leak) and the bottom half of the engine was working without the top(i could feel the pistons going up and down).

the crankshaft would turn and so would the fanbelts,but the cam wouldnt. so which means no spark(leading me to believe it was the distriubuter. i had this comming all the miles on the car and it did have a leaky front main seal for over a yr.(needed a little longer.) so is my motor trashed?? i thought so so right before i was going to jump off a building.

i called the local orilies. and a guy told me that as long as the pistons are "dimpled for the valves"= non interference motor.
that all i would need to do is change the belt,tensioners,seals and set the timing and i should be good to go. he told me that "dimpless" = interference motors would have bent valves and it would then be toast.

is this guy full of shit or do i have a 2nd chance at life here?? also the mechanic i was talking to said the same thing. the motor was savable. he would do the work(labor only) for $190+50-towing charge. is this a deal($300.00-stealership labor) but when i got that price the car was working.can/has this been done?? i know for sure the 4g63t has the valve dimples,does the 64??
so I know this post is old and says resolved, but I find it misleading in a way, because the early sohc 8 or 12 valve 4g64/g64b/g4cs and 4g63/g63b/g4cp sohc engines are non interference, so long as they have the oem cam valves and pistons installed, however the later 16 valve engines used in the eclipse spyder are interference motors, the confusion is dsm owners think people are talking about the 16 valve variants, to their credit these are interference engines, but the early ones and all the 2.4 engines used in the mighty max ram 50 pickups, are non interference, I have seen at least 12 accounts of owners of 4g64 sohc 8 valve motors skip timing or loose teeth on the belt only to have it running like new again with nothing, but the belt replaced, in fact some owners typically keep a spare at all times in case it ever snaps, I have also had a failure while going around 65mph on the freeway in a 4g63 sohc 12 valve engine same as the base model 89-92 Galants, had it towed to autozone replaced the belt in the parking lot and drove the car home, if it was interference I would have bent valves for sure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back