The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Replacing stock mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM1G90

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Now, here's a question that I can't figure out: My Ply RS Turbo that has the front and back mounts are pretty well much done for-riding in the lower part of the rubber mounting area, but the rubber isn't all torn up.

Right side (transmission) mount is okey-sitting center. Got three mounts from a yard in excellent condition for 5 bucks apiece.

I put the jack with a 2x4 block of wood under the oilpan to lift up the motor. Got the left end (beltcover) mount changed out-it was pretty well tore up under the end covers.

Yet with the motor raised, the front and rear mount didn't show any sign of relieve when I raised the motor - just stayed in their respective positions.

Any clues on what is happening here?

Did this car do some pancaking and pushed up the center support causing the front mount (roll stopper...LOL) to raise some? But, that doesn't explain the rear mount being in the same condition.

Only recognizable underneath carriage damage is the two front bolts of the support all ratty from being scraped and one bolt was pushed over to where it bent some of that crossmember a little causing the AC condensor to buckle (which I took out since the system was all empty of freon..) whereas the beam itself looks pretty straight without any signs of buckling or scraping from a potiental pancake situation.

thx for the help - DSM

Try a second jack with a block of wood under the bellhousing. It's awkward because it's not flat but it will work if you place the wood along the edge next to the oil pan. Use both jacks to more evenly raise the engine. Remember that you don't have to raise the engine a lot, just enough to relieve the tension of the cross bolts of the mounts. Do only one mount at a time. No one engine position will work for all of the mounts. You will have to slightly reposition it for each mount using trial and error to find what works.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back