The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Replaced starter and now its grinding flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idt512

20+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2003
Hemet, California
Original starter would spin but not engage. Bought a used starter from another 2g GST locally and its grinding my flywheel. Ive now learned that the differences is auto/manual rather than fwd/awd. I didnt pay attention whether it was auto or manual as i had my mind on being a fwd model, and ive now lost the sellers contact to ask him. Is there any way to tell if i got a starter for an auto GST?

Are you using the correct starter plate for your flywheel?
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/bought-my-first-dsm.459007/#post-153217957.
The flywheel is different, 106 teeth for AWD (smaller) vs. 110 teeth for FWD (larger) but that is accounted for by different starter plates (positioning the starter closer/farther away from the flywheel center to account for different flywheel diameter).

If the bolts go through both the trans and starter plate should confirm that the plate is correct (holes for a fwd plate and awd trans shouldn't. Line up), could still be the wrong starter or flywheel though.

This was/is a running car, not a swap. I only changed the starter. Therefore i can presume that it has a correct plate, and yes the bolts go all the way through the trans and plate because my old starter was on there. Last night I reinstalled my original starter because it was only happening intermittently and i need to drive the car for work. So...after removing the new starter i snapped a pic to show the difference of the 2 starters im working with. The bottom is my original starter. You can see the height difference on the gears. My original sticks up about 1/2", and the new one sticks up about 3/16". Also the dome height over the shaft is higher on my original starter. I have a manual trans 2g GST

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Test your original starter out of the car to see if the gear was kicking out at all.

The top starter in your post #4 is the wrong one for a 2gT FWD manual. Here's a pic of my 99 GST (FWD) manual starter (you can see it's identical to your bottom pic):

Attachments

• Starter 2gT FWD manual.JPG
    Starter 2gT FWD manual.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back