The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G replace wheel bearings or hub?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natertater

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2008
san diego, California
hello all,

i have issues with my front wheel, and its grinding and making all sorts of noise when driving. i seen the write ups on wheel bearing replacement, and many say they dont have front hubs for sale, but i found these. it says they are front hubs on the site, but many have been wrong. is it worth it to just get all new hubs and replace them? they dont seem that expensive compared to getting new bearings and all the work that comes with them.

OEM Replacement Parts

what do you all think?

those are production year 1/94 which is for a 2g. on a 1g they do not unbolt and the bearings have to be pressed out.

hot damn, i thought that was too easy...

so is there a list of parts needed? i seen one thread that had 3 parts, but another write up sans part numbers and there was about 6 parts he put into the spindle.

Each side has 3 pieces. Bearing and 2 seals. It's a relatively simply job replacing the bearings. It says they have to be pressed out but the bearings their self will practically fall out. The bearing race has to be removed and replaced but it can be done with a big hammer and the old bearing. After getting the old race out, I use the drift punch to hammer the new race into position. Leaving the new race in the freezer a few hours makes it easier to get it in.

There's a pretty good writeup in the VFAQ on how to do the job.

cool thanks for the info. i had a lot of the vfaqs i was going to do saved on my favorites, but rebuilt the computer...oh well huh? gotta go find them again :(

I noticed some play and some uneven tire wear on my driver's front tire. I started this job yesterday using this thread: Wheel bearing removal on non-ABS car. Lot of good information there thanks to 3kgt2nv. I ordered the bearings that my local auto parts store had in their system. What I ordered didn't mention anything about replacement seals or a new bearing race. I have a feeling that my car will be on jackstands for the better part of this week just waiting on the right parts to come in. I thought I was in for an easy day, but it turns out that you've got to pull the entire assembly. The steering knuckle, strut, and lower control arm are a treat to remove all for a damned bearing that resembles the ones from my old Huffy bicycle in the 90's...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back