The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Removing lock cylinder without key

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J03

Probationary Member
May 5, 2010
Mira Loma, California
I broke my key in my ignition and have tried to get it out but have not been successful. It was also my last set of keys. I have removed the steering covers and tried to turn the ignition to the ACC position but is stuck in the lock position. I was wondering whether i could drill out the pin on the side of the cylinder that locks it in or would that ruin the housing.

I know this pic is for the 1g but hopefully this gives an idea of the pin I'm talking about.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I tried to force it to turn but wasn't able to. Maybe i'm just too weak haha.

Judging by the replacement part picture it looks like the pin is part of the cylinder but I dont want to start drilling based off of a picture and ruin the housing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ya that little button has to push in and only will when the key is turned to certain position. You can try and drill it but you would need to get it far enough to slip out and that's not easy bro. I would try hard to get the key to turn how much broke off? Use a screwdriver flat head and hammer and try to hit the screwdriver in and turn, has worked for me lots if times.

Yes you can drill that out, but I can't remember if the hook in the back will release without the key turning. It's been a while since I did mine, but I feel like the key had to turn to release that hook at the end. You could remove the entire bracket from the column and mess with it from there, but I would drill out that pin first and hope you can just pull the cylinder out.

Ya I'm pretty sure you have to get the key to turn to pull it. Or else anyone could drill those out and steal your car easy, so i don't think its that easy. I know when I just changed all the locks in my galant I changed the whole ignition piece because the cylinder piece broke and would not come out, because the previous owner lost the key and attempted the same thing you are and failed.

That pin is hardened, more over than the pot metal the barrel housing is made of .. Doesn't work too well to try and drill it out. I just took a hammer drill and bored out the cylinder itself where the key goes hitting it from different angles. Eventually theirs bored enough the whole thing will turn and u can just use a screwdriver to turn the barrel and pull the ignition.

Take it from someone who had the same exact issue... use a screw driver or drill and a driver to get into accesory once u have done that he a punch and push the pin up it should be free now then use the ouch in that same pin hole and try to push forward (twards you) to come out it takes some doing and playing around and a few swear words bUT it will come out once it does make absolutely sure theirs no pieces of the old one left it will lock up the new key and make it very difficult to get out again... (ask me how I know).... you can do it it is easy hard part is getting it to accry. Position and pushing old one out coz you have nothing to grab onto.. good luck man

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back