The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Rebuilding throttle body

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjd6795

Proven Member
May 14, 2014
Wilsonville, Oregon
So I just removed my throttle body and I noticed this tan sensor was plugged in and I assume it's the FIAV? I also noticed the two coolant hoses are not connected and I assume it has been bypassed?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Look at Jafro videos on youtube. He cover the rebuild of the throttle body. I did mine last year with help of is video.
Also, the tan connector is the ISC (idle speed control)

EDIT:

The tan part is your idle speed control, and to the right is the fast idle air valve. If there's no lines running to the FIAV, they've bypassed it.

Yes. You can remove the entire motor ROFL
https://youtu.be/xqT5h0sMX4U
I got my shaft seals inserted and everything put back together exactly how it came off INCLUDING the TPS. But I can hear an even larger leak now and the idle sounds like sh**. Almost like it's cammed.

A few comments:

• Just because there were no hoses running to the FIAV nipples does not mean the previous owner properly blocked off the FIAV. You need to check and see if there's a plate between the throttle body and the FIAV and ideally what type of plate (bypass or blockoff). You'll be able to tell if this thin plate is installed just by looking at the throttle body (no need to disassemble). From what I can see, there is no plate installed, which could be the cause of your massive air leaks, which would be out of the two nipples. I'd expect to see a bit of the plate here where the two pieces come together.

This will determine if your ISC is even able to function or not. The bypass plate has holes in it that let air from the throttle body down into the FIAV so the ISC can do its job, whereas the blockoff plate is meant to be installed by itself and just remove the FIAV (with the ISC) entirely.

fiavplates-jpg.118670

• If the shaft seals are metal cased, you'll want to use something to install them and not bend up the case. The tool I sell is the best method, but I've used a screwdriver and a properly sized socket before with some success. The real issue is some of the shaft seals do not have a chamfer on the edge that goes in first which means it will not help center itself so you need to install it as straight as possible. If the shaft seals are not metal cased, you can press them in with your fingers. Always use some dielectric grease when installing any shaft seal.
  • To find the leak, use soapy water. Spray it all over the area and watch for bubbles.
  • Here's an article on how to do a full rebuild - http://www.ca.dsm.org/faq/tb-shaftseals.html
  • If you need a rebuild kit and/or tool, PM me. I've got them in stock.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back