1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Rebuild Issues...Advice??

Posted by roadtrip_69, Jul 27, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. roadtrip_69

roadtrip_69 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 18, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The how I got here part -

Alright so about 6 weeks ago, cruising along at 75 mph, in a hard rain. (And just a few days since I last checked my oil) Cruise Control on. Engine oil dumby light comes on and seconds later, engine starts to seize. Turns out, ran out of oil, via a leak that still has not been identified. Figured it had to be a crack in the block....Took it apart myself found that the Rod Bearings were seized completely. But no obvious holes or cracks.

I took the block to the machine shop, I've had heads flatted /spec'd at before. They hot tank it, find that its a good block, so I tell them to bore it out, let me know what size pistons I'll need but its already been re-bored during a previous rebuild.(I bought it about 7 years ago as a reman engine from Surefire through Autozone (Made it 77K miles). At the time I didn't have the cash or the spare car to have mine down for an extended period of time. And it came with the balance shafts already deleted so thought the build must be at least decent.

Anyways they didn't want to bore it anymore. (Although from what I have read you can go UP to 87mm? They were already at 85.5, and they werent sure 86.0 would be enough to fix the damage. And had doubts on how strong it would be if we had to go up to 86.5. Crank was scarred up, rotating assembly was pretty much shot.

So I found a long block at a local junk yard. Its balance shaft belt broke, destroying the balance shaft bearings. But other wise looked in decent shape.

Had it looked at, it was a virgin block with 130K of wear. No cracks, holes or flatness issues. Crank looked good, stock pistons and rods weren't too wore. Cylinder walls looked clean. Looked like i could just get new rods/pistons and bearings and be good to go, with some cleanup of the crank. But they didn't like that crank either, for whatever reason. Tried to find an OEM crank to save 450 bucks (Since I have heard the stock cranks are pretty strong as is, and I don't plan on going full drag ever in the car. 400-500 HP at best, but no one had them in stock) so decided to just buy a whole matched rotating assembly and call it a day,

So I have them bore the new block out. Over-bored just 0.20 or to 85.5 mm. Ordered a full Manley forged rotating assembly, stock 88 mm stroke, acl race bearings, both rod and main. Pistons are all balanced to within 1g of each other and are 85.5mm.. All ARP hardware. And ARP assembly lube. Spec'd out to hold 600+ HP

Dropped off everything with the machine shop to put it together about 2 weeks ago, just to get a call today that their engine builder quit (got fired?). So now i have a checked head, hot tanked/machined/bored/honed? block, all new rotating assembly and no one to put it together for me. I have called a few other local shops and everyone is backed up for MONTHS. One was 4 months before they could get to it.

The question/Advice

Now the question, with all new parts, that were straight from the manufacturer, how hard would it be to assemble myself. I know I can rent a ring installer/compressor, the wrist pins are circliped not pressed so that part is easy. What concerns me is the clearances with the rod and main bearings. I have watched a few videos on using Plastigage to measure the tolerances, but shouldn't they all be in spec with all new matched parts anyways? What if they are not by some chance? How do you correct it, aside from re-machining something? Also I do have the entire Mitsubishi Service Manual so specs and torque settings and instructions I have.

I consider myself a high level amateur mechanic, I have pretty much done all there is to do external of the internals of the engine/transmission on my Eclipse, on multiple 4x4 trucks, various other fwd and rwd cars. I just lack machinery and machining tools so I only usually take things some where when those are needed.

This assembly I know I CAN do at the basic level, with existing tools, or borrowed tools but I don't want to do it wrong and end up wasting 2k on a simple clearance issue/miscalculation.

What advice/guidance/recommendations can anyone give me.. Should I just do it myself? Or is it just too advanced for someone who has never done it before. I want it to last as long as possible, its mostly a daily driver/autocross car that may see some stop light type abuse but not drag strip abuse.

Before the mysterious oil leak, the stock block was holding over 400 BHP, with a tune, accompanying bolt-on mods, and a 20g at 22-23 psi. And aside from a mystery occasional loop at idle was running great.

Thanks!

2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    You can do it, it is just nuts and bolts. If a tolerance is not in spec, the only thing that you can do is make it in spec. With all new parts, you shouldn't have any issues but you need to check bearing clearances anyway, be good or bad. Ring gaps need checked. All torque specs should be followed with a good torque wrench. Print out my sheet and fill in the blanks that you can so you will always be able to refer to them. You sound like you have had enough experience that you can handle the job, just know that it is 90% prep and cleaning (you can't get TOO clean) and 10% assembly.
    Marty

Attached Files:

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

1K  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

793  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  14  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  3. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    It’s not hard at all , if you were closer I’d be happy to build it for you, I always let my customers watch so they can do it themselves the next time.

Street Build 4K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    645 whp · 498 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    1cleangsx and 1990TSIAWDTALON like this.
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Buschur Racing is not all that far from you if you need to go there.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    This is one of those crossroads .... You need to push the fear aside And do it yourself. I made that choice and I’ve been building engines ever since

Street Build 4K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    645 whp · 498 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  6. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    If all the machine work is complete, just save yourself the labor cost and build it yourself. It is very easy to do, you just need to be mindful of oil tolerances, torque specs, ant the timing. All of these are easy if you do the research and have the spec on hand while building, and keep it all organized and clean. Also take your time so you don't over look something important.

1K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
    TK's9d2TSi and 1990TSIAWDTALON like this.
  7. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You live in Cincinnati. Have you checked with Hucks machine shop? I should be getting the block back this Friday

405  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

459  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
  8. MattHDSM

MattHDSM Probationary Member

Joined Oct 20, 2018
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I have to agree with this. Before I rebuilt my engine, the biggest job I’d ever done was brakes. It’s intimidating, especially after putting a bunch of money forward but damn was I ever proud of myself on first start up. There’s plenty of resources out there to guide you along, Jafro’s videos were my biggest help. With a service manual and the forums, you can surely build it yourself. You got this dude! :hellyeah:

Street Build 451  4

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    16.870 @ 82.17 · 2G DSM
  9. frosh29

frosh29 Proven Member

Joined Jul 29, 2004
    Wallington, New Jersey
    If In doubt along the way, ask here.

There are a ton of helpful people on dsmtuners. Lots that have done engine assembly as well.

Good luck! Nothing better than starting a car for the first time knowing you did most of it yourself!

Street Build 268  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 463  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  10. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    It is an indescribable feeling to hear your own work start up for the first time. You are nervous, you are anxious and you are sweating until she bust's off and runs, then you are a face full of smile!!!!

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

1K  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

793  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM