The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Rear Main Seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD-Tony

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
I want to change the rear main seal since I have the trans out but I haven't drained the oil. I'm using VR1 and it has maybe 700miles so I'd hate to drain it. Only front is raised. Do I need to drain the oil?

Thanks
Tony

You can change the rear main seal without draining engine oil. The oil level is below the oil pan flange unless you are overfilling or putting too much angle.

Thanks, DSMPT! It's not overfilled but front is on jack stands. I'll have a drip pan ready just in case or simply jack up the rear in that case.

Even if you had to drain just put it in a clean pan then back in the car.

I did do that with the trans and diff fluids. I maybe I’ll drain a quart or so. Thanks Pauley!

Redline trans fluid in coffee container.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do, just to keep it in place in a couple places. The dowels usually do a good job, I just ad a dab here and there, very lightly, on mine.

I used a very very light coat of clear silicone on my Fel pro kit. No leaks yet but mostly just idle time.

Thanks Buddha!! I’ll use a like coat of rtv also.

is that taped deep socket to the left for you lug nuts? LOL Clean work space.

yeah it is. Haha good eye! I try but then it gets out of control. I’ll clean it up tomorrow

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back