The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Rear Main Seal Installation Tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTUSPE

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2003
Raleigh/Durham, North_Carolina
I just finished replacing the rear main seal on my 6 bolt. It is a real pain getting the seal in straight. I found that the inner (smaller) water pump (power steering) pulley fits the seal perfectly to pound it in straight. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I thought I'd share as it made the installation go very easy.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just replaced my seal, and I was having the hardest time getting it in place. Then I found this tip. I'm happy to say it worked great, even though it still a while, LOL. I will definitely recommend this to all my friends. it did kinda tear up some of the rubber on the inside of the seal, but not enough to make me think it will be a problem.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I thought I'd share as it made the installation go very easy.

Oh I was just reading about this! What a coincidence.

from the vfaq's "short tips" section:
When rebuilding an engine and installing the rear main seal, an easy way to get the seal installed is to use the smaller water pump pulley as a special tool. It is the exact same diameter as the rear main seal and if you use it in a vise you can press the seal in very easily (use a block of wood between the aluminum seal housing and the vise).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back