The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Rattling noise coming from around transmission area

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola916

Proven Member
Mar 16, 2022
Sacramento, California
Last night I was driving on the highway and started hearing a weird sound that I never heard before and when u parked I started to hear a clicking/rattling noise coming from the transmission/right side area. This morning it's gone. Can someone direct me to what that could be. The sound would get faster with the engine.
-thanks

It could be anything from rod knock, to balance shaft bearings going out, to a cracked or loose flywheel/flex plate, or even crank walk, we definitely need more information to go any further in assisting you, a video would be even better.

It could be anything from rod knock, to balance shaft bearings going out, to a cracked or loose flywheel/flex plate, or even crank walk, we definitely need more information to go any further in assisting you, a video would be even better.

I would send a video but the sound is gone now

How does the sound just go away?

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the sound just go away?
It doesn't, you might not have the parts in the right position right now to make the sound but things dont fix themselves, it will likely come back and get worse and worse if its something internal, unless its a heat shield that fell off and is out on the highway somewhere, rod knock for example can come and go depending on how the rod bearing is spun and wedged in the rod, sometimes it gets tighter before it fails and sometimes it gets looser before failure.

It doesn't, you might not have the parts in the right position right now to make the sound but things dont fix themselves, it will likely come back and get worse and worse if its something internal, unless its a heat shield that fell off and is out on the highway somewhere, rod knock for example can come and go depending on how the rod bearing is spun and wedged in the rod, sometimes it gets tighter before it fails and sometimes it gets looser before failure.
So I went and bought a stethoscope for an engine and the noise is for sure coming from the trans. I put it up to the engine and didn't here it and I put it up to the trans and heard it loud and clear, thank god🙏🙏🙏 but anyways what could be making a rattling/clicking sound in the trans, it's a manual trans btw
-thanks

A failing throwout bearing, a broken clutch plate, a cracked flywheel, a loose flywheel, a nut backing off of the shaft in the transmission, anything on the transmission input shaft thats broken or loose.

A failing throwout bearing, a broken clutch plate, a cracked flywheel, a loose flywheel, a nut backing off of the shaft in the transmission, anything on the transmission input shaft thats broken or loose.
Also ever since that has happened whenever I start the car, there is a screech for a second when I start accelerating but then it goes away immediately

Update, the chatter/rattle noise is coming from the rear side of the transmission and not where the clutch is

There are a couple of big nuts under the side cover that come loose, that would also explain the squeeling sound that you are getting as they rub the side cover, I wouldn't drive it until you pull that cover and check those nuts out, they can rub a hole in that cover or worse.

This is in the 420a section, so I assume you have the NVT-350? (the manual trans in the N/T 420a cars). If that's the scenario, there are no nuts inside the trans. If you pull the end case cover all you'll see is the 2 case bearings, one at the end of each gear stack. Those could be bad. You can't really tell by looking at them though. You'd have to take them out and spin them by hand. Before I went through that trouble though I would check your trans fluid and make sure it's not low. Our trans holds 2.1 quarts of fluid. Unfortunately there is no dipstick so what you have to do is remove the rubber fill plug on the side of the trans to check. The fluid should seep out or at least be right at the bottom of the fill plug hole.

Checking your clutch bolts is easy. There are only 4, and there's a small inspection cover at the bottom that you remove to view/tighten them.

This is in the 420a section, so I assume you have the NVT-350? (the manual trans in the N/T 420a cars). If that's the scenario, there are no nuts inside the trans. If you pull the end case cover all you'll see is the 2 case bearings, one at the end of each gear stack. Those could be bad. You can't really tell by looking at them though. You'd have to take them out and spin them by hand. Before I went through that trouble though I would check your trans fluid and make sure it's not low. Our trans holds 2.1 quarts of fluid. Unfortunately there is no dipstick so what you have to do is remove the rubber fill plug on the side of the trans to check. The fluid should seep out or at least be right at the bottom of the fill plug hole.

Checking your clutch bolts is easy. There are only 4, and there's a small inspection cover at the bottom that you remove to view/tighten them.
Oh snap, I forgot its a 420a car!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back