The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Question about 5th gear/reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
My tranny was popping out of 5th gear. Now I have no 5th gear at all, as well as no reverse. Guessing maybe a syncro or the end nut possibly came loose or something. Is reverse on the same shift rail as 5th gear? 1st through 4 shifts just fine. Just wanted to check before I go and yank out my whole transmission versus just the end cover. Thanks.

Just pop off the end cover and tighten the nut anyways. Shouldn't take you long. Then go from there.

Hopefully yours is easier to diagnose than mine :p

I would start with checking the end nut. When you take the cover off make sure you only take the end cover off and don't pry off the next part of the case with it like I did. Also be sure everything is lined up and sitting flush before you re tighten the end case bolts...I learned the hard way.

If you don't have it already, get the Permatex/RTV made for gear oil

I've done a few transmissions. Just can't remember if those gears are on the same rail or not though. Thanks for the tip on the permatex though. I believe I used the black that the dealer called for this last time.

Thanks. I'm HOPING it's just that the nut has come loose. Even if the syncro or gear is messed up, I could care less. I have a spare to replace it with.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back