The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Question about VFaq's solution to 5th gear popping out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadly BlaZe

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2004
Alpharetta, Georgia
I was wondering, on the vfaq, does the nut that supposedly could be loose only affect 5th gear, or would it affect all other gears too? I ask because my 1st gear has just started popping out at the beginning of acceleration once in a while and I noticed that almost all my gears move around a bit when i accelerate and decelerate. I should also mention that none of the gears ever grind, not even 1st.

It can affect other gears since that they are the nuts that hold all the gears tight onto the input and intermediate shafts. But, You do have bearings that are pressed onto the shafts and sandwiched between the case holding the shafts in also. The bearings along with the proper preload should be enough to keep the shafts where they need to be. I would bet that your 1st gear shift fork is worn to the point where it's not throwing the gear all the way in or your dog engagement teeth on the gear are worn along with the hub/slider teeth.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back