The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Power Door Locks Stuck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm1103

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2012
medina, Ohio
Since i purchased the car (99 gs) the locks have been really stiff and are almost impossible to move it even by hand. When pressing the lock/unlock button I can see the rod move a little bit but not enough to actually lock or unlock the door. I can hear it but its almost like the motor doesn't have enough power to lock/unlock. If i try to move it by hand, its so hard that i feel as if I'm going to break something or if I get it locked I wont be able to unlock it. So I guess my question is, has anyone else every had this problem and what can I do.

I've already took the panel off to both sides and lubed up the lock but it didn't even seem to help at all.

Replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well if you know how to get access to the mechanisms, get back to that point and isolate each mechanism one at a time. To check functionality of the lock and unlock switch and if that moves freely then move to the latch and while trying to lock and unlock use your choice of lube (I prefer TRIFLOW) and spray the the part that's hanging up trying to get more play out of it The lube will clean out some of that sand, dirt, dust that clogs most older latches and locks them up. Worst case, ya pull the latch out and see if you need a new one. My bet is on dust and dirt mixing with a lithium grease making it thick and pasty.

I can hear it but its almost like the motor doesn't have enough power to lock/unlock.

It not uncommon for the 2g lock motors to get weak over time, you will probably need to replace them. On my first eclipse I replaced them with aftermarket actuators like they sell at stereo / alarm shops, They were much more powerful than the OEM ones and a lot less expensive.

The switch is almost impossible to move as well as the latch that runs to the lock. I sprayed the part that the latch attaches to on the lock and tried to work it back and forth but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. From the outside using the key, it will not budge and will bend the key in the process.

dsm1103 said:
The switch is almost impossible to move as well as the latch that runs to the lock. I sprayed the part that the latch attaches to on the lock and tried to work it back and forth but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. From the outside using the key, it will not budge and will bend the key in the process.

Did you try removing the rods that connect everything together and then seeing what moves and what doesn't? That will help isolate the problem part or parts. Mine does the same thing right now but its the key lock cylinder that's stuck. I got it free before but it should be replaced because it doesn't keep the elements out and I'm in snow country so salt and sand is probably to blame.

Did you try removing the rods that connect everything together and then seeing what moves and what doesn't? That will help isolate the problem part or parts. Mine does the same thing right now but its the key lock cylinder that's stuck. I got it free before but it should be replaced because it doesn't keep the elements out and I'm in snow country so salt and sand is probably to blame.

That's the path, keep trying to narrow it down. have you tried the passenger side? (I'm assuming you already know the drivers side is pretty bad) try unplugging the electrical connector to the relays that connect the driver door to pass door to see if one is more stuck than the other.

And if it turns out the motors are bad, go aftermarket as said before, they are stronger/cheaper. and not really much harder to install.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back