The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Possible spun bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casem13

Proven Member
Apr 15, 2017
Olympia, Washington
I recently had issues with crankwalk. I checked and the main middle bearing with the thrust washer was shaved down on one side. The crankshaft has mild scratching on the side that wore down the bearing. I replaced the Main bearings and the crank position sensor because it was bad due to the crankwalk. Timed the vehicle correctly (checked it 5 times) and also replaced the balance shaft belt. The car idles fine but there is a knocking coming from the lower part of the engine that sounds like rod knock, that wasn't there before. The noise gets louder and faster when I increase the rpms. Also, my oil pressure (on the stock gauge) is almost peaked out. Which never happened before. I'm definitely afraid to drive the vehicle at this point. Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

I am sorry to say this but replacing only bearings will never work. It's just a bandaid, sooner or later it would happen again.
In your case, my guess would be, the new main bearings have been installed up side down. This would block off the oil feed holes and journals wouldn't have oil pressure and the oil pressure gauge would read much higher.
If that's the case, do not start the engine anymore, you are damaging parts more and more. Anyways at least you would need another crank and rebuilding the engine.

I did forget to mention that the oil pressure was fine after installing the bearings, but there was a slight knock. But the knocking has gotten worse and now the oil pressure is peaked out but still getting to the top end without issue. I know the bearings are not in backwards. I checked them multiple times over and over. I'm going to be opening up the bottom end today to see what I can see
I am sorry to say this but replacing only bearings will never work. It's just a bandaid, sooner or later it would happen again.
In your case, my guess would be, the new main bearings have been installed up side down. This would block off the oil feed holes and journals wouldn't have oil pressure and the oil pressure gauge would read much higher.
If that's the case, do not start the engine anymore, you are damaging parts more and more. Anyways at least you would need another crank and rebuilding the engine.

I'm going to be opening up the bottom end today to see what I can see
You would need to rebuild the engine anyways, so you should inspect all parts before rebuilding.
Please note that once you get a crankwalk, the only way to fix is rebuilding the engine. And the the crankshaft shouldn't be reused. If the crankwalk just started occurring, you may be able to reuse the block and the main cap.

You would need to rebuild the engine anyways, so you should inspect all parts before rebuilding.
Please note that once you get a crankwalk, the only way to fix is rebuilding the engine. And the the crankshaft shouldn't be reused. If the crankwalk just started occurring, you may be able to reuse the block and the main cap.
Do you know any place to get a crankshaft used or even reman? The auto parts around here can’t get them and there are no wrecking yards either with the part. Online they are around $600-$800

Do you know any place to get a crankshaft used or even reman? The auto parts around here can’t get them and there are no wrecking yards either with the part. Online they are around $600-$800
You have 7 bolt right? If so, you can use EVO cranks, too.
Are you looking for a new crankshaft or used? Usually $600-800 is for a new crank.
If you don't mind with used, you should make a wanted post in here's Classifieds and also look for in facebook DSM/EVO related buy-sell groups. Probably you can find one soon.

You have 7 bolt right? If so, you can use EVO cranks, too.
Are you looking for a new crankshaft or used? Usually $600-800 is for a new crank.
If you don't mind with used, you should make a wanted post in here's Classifieds and also look for in facebook DSM/EVO related buy-sell groups. Probably you can find one soon.
Yea I don’t care if it’s new or used. I’ve been looking through classifieds for evo3-9 crankshafts as well. It’s pretty slim pickings

Yea I don’t care if it’s new or used. I’ve been looking through classifieds for evo3-9 crankshafts as well. It’s pretty slim pickings
EVO1~9, DSM 1G 7 Bolt and 2G, RVR, Chariot etc etc, many cars have a 7 bolt crank and those are exchangeable. Good condition used parts are getting harder to find. But probably an used 7 bolt crank would be easier to find than a 6 bolt crank, just be patient and keep eye on it. In case if you wouldn't be able to find an used, I may be able to help you to get a new one if you like. So just let me know.
Here is a little tip, you can refer to it if you would have a choice when you find some used.

DSM 1G 7 bolt, 2G and EVO 1/2/3/4 crankshaft are the same.
EVO 5/6/7/8/9 crankshaft are slightly lighter than DSM and EVO 1~4,'s and induction hardened at rod journals.

DSM 1G 7 bolt, 2G and EVO 1/2/3 rods are the same.
EVO 4/5/6/7/8/9 rods are shot peened, about 15% more durable against metal fatigue than DSM and EVO 1/2/3's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back