The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Spun Rod Bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys....driving the car to work, i slow down. And i hear this sound a large tick that sounds like its from the bottom of the engine, well it sounds JUST like a spun rod.

Its just like the videos i have seen with spun rod. I am going to tow it home in a day or two from the lot and tear the thing down.

What should i look for when taking the engine apart? What exactly will i need to replace?

Oh and what a AWESOME xmas present!

You can pull the pan and check the bearings but if you are confident that it's a bearing you might as well just pull the engine. You'll be looking for damage to the crankshaft and/or rods initially. If it spun really bad you'll need both a new crank and rod(s) as well as bearings. Technically, every part of your motor is at risk when it eats a bearing and sends metal through the whole motor. Everything that oil touches could have sustained damage but that would be a very serious/rare case. I'd clean EVERYTHING in a hot tank to make sure you don't send old debris through the rebuilt motor. Whatever you do, don't let your local machine shop talk you into machining/turning/cutting the crank rod or main journals and running oversize bearings. Good luck.

I feel your pain , your going to need a least one new rod and a crank, plus the bearings of course, also there will be nickel and dime stuff, lube, engine oil, right stuff....

You don't always need a new crank either, you can have it turned and buy oversized bearings.

After its drained, pull the pan and check if the rods have play on the crank.

The rods are fine, there is no play ### so ever... i am going to inspect the bearings however on Tues. Hopefully have this car running in a few days.

I do believe however that the ticking was from a stuck lifter when the HG blew.

Hey guys....driving the car to work, i slow down. And i hear this sound a large tick that sounds like its from the bottom of the engine, well it sounds JUST like a spun rod.

Its just like the videos i have seen with spun rod. I am going to tow it home in a day or two from the lot and tear the thing down.

What should i look for when taking the engine apart? What exactly will i need to replace?

Oh and what a AWESOME xmas present!

When you take the engine apart inspect everything. If the bearing spun, there will most likely be flakes and/or actual pieces in the oil. You won't know everything you need until you see how much damage is done, but you can expect to have some machine work done as well as new bearings.

...Whatever you do, don't let your local machine shop talk you into machining/turning/cutting the crank rod or main journals and running oversize bearings...

Why? As long as good machine shop does the work and the engine is reassemled correctly, there should be no issues with this. It's also a cheaper alternative.

The rods are fine, there is no play ### so ever... i am going to inspect the bearings however on Tues. Hopefully have this car running in a few days.

I do believe however that the ticking was from a stuck lifter when the HG blew.

How did you inspect the rods, yet not the bearings?:confused:

be careful when inspecting the rod bearings..

Can you elaborate?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back