The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Piston to cylinder wall clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No one is arguing the piston to wall clearance. I have been running my engines that way since 1999. I am talking about reversing the ring gaps in an attempt to keep the combustion above the piston. Piston to wall clearance should not affect that in any way. His other concern is that everyone that has no experience is telling him he will chew his pistons up by gaining .002-.003" more total clearance. I explained to him that if he took a piece of paper and divided the thickness in two that is how much room he would be gaining on each side. And how could that possibly score his pistons and cause excessive blow by. I have been running those numbers for years on all sorts of pistons and have yet to have issues.

Like i said, he can do what he wants. He asked how I do things and I shared. I would never run his pistons or use the specs a few of these guys are. I do what works for us.

I am in the process of having my engine built as well. I decided to go with .005" PTW clearance and rings gaps of .021" (top) and .023" (bottom). My hopes are to be around 550-600hp.

Good or bad my BUILT4G63 short block has .0041-.0045 PTW clearance and 1st ring is .020, 2nd ring is .022 and oil rings are .018 just for comparison. I haven't got it in the car yet but it is only a week or two away. I am hoping these are ok since its a 10:1 motor with a HX40 on it with Manley pistons/rings and rods.

Are you both 2.0 or 2.3 stroker? What is your oil clearence?

Good or bad my BUILT4G63 short block has .0041-.0045 PTW clearance and 1st ring is .020, 2nd ring is .022 and oil rings are .018 just for comparison. I haven't got it in the car yet but it is only a week or two away. I am hoping these are ok since its a 10:1 motor with a HX40 on it with Manley pistons/rings and rods.

My last motor was coated JE's with .004ptw, maybe 20 and 22 on the ring end gaps. Motor had very little blow by, great compression, after 2 seasons of abuse the shortblock was still fine. The pistons looked great and will be reused. I was making ~600whp.
Mine is almost similar. I run 18 and 20 on the end gaps and .0045 Ptw clearance at my current power levels the engine is just plain awesome after almost 2yrs of abuse.

My Main bearing clearances are .0017-.0022 and Rod bearing clearances are .0016-.0019 and I have ACL Race bearings. I am also running ceramic coating on the pistons and it is a 2.0 liter.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back