The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Piston to cylinder wall clearance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejollyrancher

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2012
calgary, AB_Canada
Hey guys,
I grabbed a used block. PTW clearnace is about .004 per side. twice as much as their should be. But the motor ran perfectly before and theres not a sign of slap. Is this a big issue?

Thanks!

It probably won't be if you don't notice any abnormal wear. What kind of pistons are they? Forged pistons usually get a larger PTW clearance because of their expansion when they're hot.

Stock pistons. Ya theres no abnormal wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your total ptw clearance truely is 0.008, its way too huge even for an all out drag motor. What im shocked to hear is you have no scuffing or side wall damage as its close to a 0.010 overbore on standard pistions.

Run it if you want. I wouldn't. Factory limit is 0.002 total.

If your total ptw clearance truely is 0.008, its way too huge even for an all out drag motor. What im shocked to hear is you have no scuffing or side wall damage as its close to a 0.010 overbore on standard pistions.

Run it if you want. I wouldn't. Factory limit is 0.002 total.

Sounds like if Im not having problems, Im going to. Thanks for the input!

You need a micrometer and a dial-bore gauge. If it's .004" total ptw, then I'd run it no problems, but be warned it will have some leak down, and blowby. But it will probably run fine.

How are you measuring? Pistons are barrel shaped, so the top of the piston is much smaller than the skirt 90* to the pin. Sticking a feeler gauge between the top of the piston and the cylinder wall is a useless measurement.

As noted above, a dial bore gauge, and micrometer are needed.

How Im measuring is Ive taken out the piston, removed the rings, and fed it in upside down. With a ribbon feeler Im measuring the clearance near the bottom of the cylinder between the wall and the skirt.

In the absence of a bore gauge and micrometer, Ive read that this is a decent way to do it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back