The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Pedal travel after bigger brake install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
I just put new 1g double piston brakes on my fwd along with new hawk rotors and pads as well as new oem style lines. I bled the shit out of them and now my pedal travels further down than before. Basically I have to push more to get the same grip. It's kind of annoying. On my awd the pedal travel was similar (with old rotors, pads and lines) so idk if it's just how the awd brakes feel. Otherwise they stop great. Is there a way to adjust this?

I did the 2005/2006 outlander bigger brake upgrade recently on my GST which had the single piston calipers along with ss brake lines. The brakes come on much quicker than with the stock single piston calipers and small diameter rotors with stock master.
While I don't have the numbers in front of me, even though the original brakes where single piston it's a large single piston with an overall volume/area comparable to the smaller per piston double piston calipers, meaning similar application force should be applied to the pads and rotors.
However with the larger diameter of the rotors and calipers mounted further from center the Outlander bigger brakes made a very noticable/more aggressive brake response for me.
From what I understand the biggest advantage of more caliper pistons is force applied to the brake pad over a larger area of the pad evenly vs fewer larger pistons with more concentrated force vs distributed force applied.
I barely have to touch my brakes to feel a very solid/confident braking, very sensitive really, I also have a 2009 CTS-V with crazy huge brakes but also crazy gvwr and was surprised it takes more pedal effort to get a similar brake feeling from the V as the outlander bigger brakes I put on my GST.
Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is I went from stock single piston calipers and rotors to the bigger brakes and my pedal travel with still stock master is less and more sensitive than it was with stock large single piston small rotor brakes.
Again this is a GST but just giving you honest feedback that my brakes are more sensitive after bigger brake upgrade with stock master.
Might be the russels ss lines helps as well.

Interesting. Yeah this was on my tsi (gst) with the big single piston. I upgraded to the double piston awd (gsx) brakes. I got a helluva deal on rock auto. Otherwise I would've gone with the outlander. I also noticed how big that single piston is and thought the same thing. Since the outlander caliper is the same as a gsx caliper, just with different brackets, apparently the further spacing allows for better stopping power.
I went with new rubber lines for a few reasons, mostly safety.

Just found a brand new master cylinder for AWD for about $50 on rock auto. This should solve my problem

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back