The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Other Thermostats than stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3DooM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Dresden, Europe
Hey guys

After I had some trouble with my cooling system I flushed it and changed some broken parts, but the problem is still there.

Today I checked my (new) thermostat (195°F) and put it in a water boiler, it started to open at 195° and was fully opened at over 210°F! I think that's the reason why my car is running so hot, so I need a cooler thermostat. I bought it from a Chrysler dealer with the original part#.

Now I read the stock 4G63 thermostat opens at 180°F. Should I try to use a cooler thermostat like 190° or 185°? What's the right part# for these thermostats? And do 4g63 thermostats fit into 420A thermostat housings?

Edit: I live in Germany, so I'll need a part# from Mitsubishi or Chrysler/Dodge since autozone and so one doesn't exist here.

Disregard my post, im an idiot. they made NT 4g63 over seas

Damn, for my taste 143°F is a bit too low :D I was looking for something like 180 to 185°F. I just need a oem mitsu part number for these kind of t-stats. For my taste the stock 195°F stat is way too hot, especially when I drive on german Autobahn.

Btw I got a 420a, not a 4g63. But when you can tell me that the 4g63 thermostat will fit into a 420a housing, the problem is solved.

but, incase you get high temps then sudden normal temp: take the T-stat out, and if it doesn't have a jiggle valve in the flange, drill a .050 hole in the flange and put that hole at the 12:00 position so the system can burp out the air since those horizontal mounted t-stats are known for air locks causing overheating until the hot air can open up the t-stat to allow coolant to flow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back