The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Opinions: Gt30 on stock motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93jdmlaser

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, New_Jersey
I have a gt30 turbo that I picked up for a good deal. Im not sure whether or not I should run it. I know im gonna hear get a built motor and cams and all that, I know that I need that to get the full potential but what I wanna know is what do you think about it on my current setup

Mods: Denso 660s, afpr, vpc, afc, eprom chip, extremepsi race intercooler kit, rewired 255 pump, 3in exhaust. Thats all that matters for this. Im not sure if the injectors will be big enough. Also what hp numbers should I look at making on pump and race gas on my setup as it is. I looked into this turbo but didnt find to much. I know I need better engine but for now thats what I have to work with so Im trying to get an idea if I should keep it or sell it. Thanks for the help.

I would guess that you'll have a slower spool up but I think you could get about 4-450hp if you get a good tune on it.

Good Luck!

I have a gt30 turbo that I picked up for a good deal. Im not sure whether or not I should run it. I know im gonna hear get a built motor and cams and all that, I know that I need that to get the full potential but what I wanna know is what do you think about it on my current setup

Mods: Denso 660s, afpr, vpc, afc, eprom chip, extremepsi race intercooler kit, rewired 255 pump, 3in exhaust. Thats all that matters for this. Im not sure if the injectors will be big enough. Also what hp numbers should I look at making on pump and race gas on my setup as it is. I looked into this turbo but didnt find to much. I know I need better engine but for now thats what I have to work with so Im trying to get an idea if I should keep it or sell it. Thanks for the help

The stock motor can take a lot of boost with the proper tune and logging of course (Get ARP STUDS if you want to r un over 22 psi to be safe). I would recommend starting at 12 psi and work your way to 18-20 psi. Remember log your runs. However, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

a gt30 flows 52 lbs if i am not mistaken...a 50 trim flows 49...i see plenty of people running 50 trims on a stock motor...and your turbo only flows 3 more lbs than a 50 trim so i do not see why you would have a problem...just make sure you do not knock...do you have dsmlink...if not what are you using to control your fuel...if you use an afc i think the biggest injectors you can run are 660s...anything higher will start to mess up other stuff (timing)...

qtxdevilz said:
a gt30 flows 52 lbs if i am not mistaken...a 50 trim flows 49...i see plenty of people running 50 trims on a stock motor...and your turbo only flows 3 more lbs than a 50 trim so i do not see why you would have a problem...just make sure you do not knock...do you have dsmlink...if not what are you using to control your fuel...if you use an afc i think the biggest injectors you can run are 660s...anything higher will start to mess up other stuff (timing)...

3 pounds more air is actually quite significant. Think about this, a 16g flows 44 pounds and a 50 trim is quite a step up as it flows 49 pounds. You will obviously have slower spool-up times than you would with a 50trim, but if you can get one for cheap I'd say go for it. As for fuel control, if you already have an afc and logger than a keydiver or TMO chip would be a much cheaper way of making global adjustments than getting dsmlink.

As far as running on a stock motor, you should be pretty much fine (if you play it safe) seeing as a fellow dsmer, squeak10686, made a great thread about his road to the 11's on a stock motor (well, basically except for cams) using the gt35r which is even larger than the gt30. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have fun with that huge ass turbo. :D

-Andrew

avw0516 said:
As for fuel control, if you already have an afc and logger than a keydiver or TMO chip would be a much cheaper way of making global adjustments than getting dsmlink.

As far as running on a stock motor, you should be pretty much fine (if you play it safe) seeing as a fellow dsmer, squeak10686, made a great thread about his road to the 11's on a stock motor (well, basically except for cams) using the gt35r which is even larger than the gt30. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have fun with that huge ass turbo. :D

-Andrew

He's also using MS. DSMChips are fine for a while, but I've only had mine maybe 4 months and am already sick of covering up timing issues with fuel. I say sell the logger, safc, and just buy the Link, like I did on Tuesday. After you sell the logger and safc, you'll already have half of what your need for the Link. Or you could go the way avw0516 suggested, and keep buying more and more chips untill your timing is perfect.

avw0516 said:
Think about this, a 16g flows 44 cfm and a 50 trim is quite a step up as it flows 49 cfm. You will obviously have slower spool-up times than you would with a 50trim, but if you can get one for cheap I'd say go for it.
-Andrew

Actually a 20g flows 44 lbs/min. An evo 16g can do 42 lbs though.

What turbo is going to spool slower than the 50 trim?

And this guy was selling this turbo maybe a month and a half ago. So he might not even have it anymore to give us a review.

90blacktsiawd said:

Thank you for the correction. Sorry about that. :coy: I just meant that the gt30 is capible of putting down noticable higher horsepower than a 50 trim.

And as Jiggahman suggested, if money isn't a huge problem for you as it is for some of us :rolleyes: then dsmlink is definately a great option. The tuning abilities for the price are simply astounding, and I haven't heard anything but positive comments from all of its users.

-Andrew

avw0516 said:
Thank you for the correction. Sorry about that. :coy: I just meant that the gt30 is capible of putting down noticable higher horsepower than a 50 trim.

And as Jiggahman suggested, if money isn't a huge problem for you as it is for some of us :rolleyes: then dsmlink is definately a great option. The tuning abilities for the price are simply astounding, and I haven't heard anything but positive comments from all of its users.

-Andrew

a 20g flows 44 lbs and if you use the formula that has been floating around here...it is 10-11 hp for lbs/m...so 3 more lbs equals 30-33 hp...after drivetrain lost...it is about 20 hp to the wheels...i do not think a 20 hp difference will make or break his motor...LOL

I think you will be fine your setup is similar to mine so you should be able to see 350 on pump and higher w/ race gas. I still have not got to push it to its limits yet but The addition of cams and SMIM held up good. I am around 80 percent on the 660s @ 29psi. But It needs dyno tuned again. I think this time w/ 30 psi and leaning on it a bit I can get about 450-460. I am also on stock HG and studs. Using the eprom and afc for now. Last dyno was 397hp 374tq and that was running into an electrical issue so I never got to raise the boost. But its fixed now, throwing a MAFT and act2900 in and back to the dyno. I think it will be laggy for you though but its all in what you want. Just thought I would offer a little insight as I am not even close to the potential since I was still working some bugs out but it gives you a broad idea. w/o cams and smim I ran out of dyno time and got 347hp. I like the turbo better now with the DNP manifold, At first I didnt like the lag but now that I am ever so slightly bringing it down into the low 4000s it is working out great! Just too much winter for now!

Is it a GT30 or a GT30R? gt30R I heard will spool around 3800 on a 2.0??? thats just what I heard.... Im actually going to be running a GT30R on my new motor thats being built right now Although im running cams, cam gears, dsmlink and magnus intake alohg with 720cc injectors im hoping to get some pretty good numbers I'll be happy with 450+ on pump but we'll see

as far as injectors I thought if you are just running pump gas you would have to go with something larger as aposed to running race gas? Thats why i went with the 720cc's oh well I guess its better to be safe than sorry good luck! :thumb:

I am using the 30r not sure if the thread starter meant that one or not. So for clarification I should note I always run a mix of 5 gallons of 94 and 5 gallons of 110. Only because It is not my DD and I usually am around the 25psi range. Sometimes when I miss a shift and hit the limiter I get 3 to 7 counts of knock even on the mix. So I feel safer. Zero counts if I keep it in the gears! I dont know what they are assuming the 3800 spool at, I know when I was running 29 psi w/o dnp, smim, and stock cams it was full spool @ 5000. With those mods and 25 psi right now it comes in around 4300, but I think with the maft and a new tune I can bring 28 in around 4100, which I wont complain about. If I had a 2.3 or 2.4 I bet it would be pretty fun but until the stocker lets loose I gotta see how far I can push it.

90blacktsiawd said:

What turbo is going to spool slower than the 50 trim?

And this guy was selling this turbo maybe a month and a half ago. So he might not even have it anymore to give us a review.

Also the 42 lb/min that the evoIII can flow is not a number that most would see in street trim, this is a maxed out number. For that kind of number you need alot of boost, cams, smim, etc. Most see mid 30's in street trim some lower some higher.

daren_p said:
Also the 42 lb/min that the evoIII can flow is not a number that most would see in street trim, this is a maxed out number. For that kind of number you need alot of boost, cams, smim, etc. Most see mid 30's in street trim some lower some higher.

Yes i realize that i was merely correcting his statement about a 16g putting out 44lbs/min. I figured he was probably thinking of an evo3 which comes very close to what a 20g can do.

90blacktsiawd said:
Yes i realize that i was merely correcting his statement about a 16g putting out 44lbs/min. I figured he was probably thinking of an evo3 which comes very close to what a 20g can do.

Ya I was just trying to back up your statement. The post was directed at the origional post of "16g flows 44 pounds and a 50 trim is quite a step up as it flows 49 pounds". As a "normal" 16g won't see that kind of flow & that is why it is a "big" step to a 50 trim. Now back on topic :thumb: . If the gt30 is rated at 52 lb/min I would think this should be fine on a stock block, that is of course if you keep the boost reasonable & don't plan on running 30 psi on the street :D . They figure 1 lb/min is ~10 hp so your looking about 30-50 hp gain over most 50 trims, which a tonn of people run without problems. I say go for it :thumb: Or give it too me instead ROFL

daren_p said:
Ya I was just trying to back up your statement. The post was directed at the origional post of "16g flows 44 pounds and a 50 trim is quite a step up as it flows 49 pounds". As a "normal" 16g won't see that kind of flow & that is why it is a "big" step to a 50 trim. Now back on topic :thumb: . If the gt30 is rated at 52 lb/min I would think this should be fine on a stock block, that is of course if you keep the boost reasonable & don't plan on running 30 psi on the street :D . They figure 1 lb/min is ~10 hp so your looking about 30-50 hp gain over most 50 trims, which a tonn of people run without problems. I say go for it :thumb: Or give it too me instead ROFL

Now correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't a small 16g flow 36lbs/min and a big 16g flows 38lbs/min right?

I really think this guy sold the turbo already. He was asking maybe 725 or so for it. I looked into picking it up myself but that didn't work out to well.

90blacktsiawd said:
Now correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't a small 16g flow 36lbs/min and a big 16g flows 38lbs/min right?

I really think this guy sold the turbo already. He was asking maybe 725 or so for it. I looked into picking it up myself but that didn't work out to well.

I believe I read 34 lb/min small, 36 big and 38 evoIII, which we all know can flow more. Maybe those are the Mitsu rated numbers for the small & big but they can actually flow abit more?

daren_p said:
I believe I read 34 lb/min small, 36 big and 38 evoIII, which we all know can flow more. Maybe those are the Mitsu rated numbers for the small & big but they can actually flow abit more?

Well i'm not sure if they under rate them or not. But i've definately seen that an evo does 42lbs from several different sources.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back