The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Only firing on 2 cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan2Gowner

Probationary Member
Aug 21, 2015
Wood River, Illinois
So I found a 1999 Eclipse GS with a 420a engine. Its been fully rebuilt, and he has it for sale. I am thinking about buying it but I need some help before I buy it. He told me it starts up and runs, but it's only firing on 2 cylinders. He said he replaced the coil packs and wires, but it's still only firing the 2nd and 3rd cylinder. Now my question is, is it worth buying it for $1000? Or should I try talking him down? Its a 5 speed with aftermarket headers, brand new clutch and a brand new rebuild. Also what could I do to fix that problem? I have read up on a few posts but none of them seemed to help. I need ideas that aren't super expensive or time consuming as I would have about $500 to fix it and about a week or two for time. I was thinking its not timed right, ecu, or faulty coil packs.

All ideas would be helpful. I have a 99 eclipse gs (automatic) in my driveway but its broke down, I could use parts off of it if i have to.

Being fully rebuilt doesn't mean it was fully rebuilt correctly especially if after being fully rebuilt its now firing on 2 cylinders! This would call in to question if anything was done right and according to specs just a word of caution. Talk him down.

Yeah I already figured I would try to talk him down, but any words of advice if I get it? What could I try to do to fix it? Like I said I have a spare parts car that needs a new rod and bearing. I guess if I have no luck fixing that car I'll take parts from the one im buying and use the tranny and everything to make my other one a manual.

Yeah I already figured I would try to talk him down, but any words of advice if I get it? What could I try to do to fix it? Like I said I have a spare parts car that needs a new rod and bearing. I guess if I have no luck fixing that car I'll take parts from the one im buying and use the tranny and everything to make my other one a manual.
First And Foremost compression test To See If misfire compression related.

I'll do a compression check, he sent me a video on facebook and its running, He said It will run for as long as you want it to just on 2 cylinders. I'm having my dad go with me to look at the car and hear it run and everything and then we will figure out if it's worth getting. While it was running there's a terrible belt squeak also, which I've noticed on most videos of cars running only on 2 cylinders.

If you're willing to work on it, why not? I definitely would NOT pay that much especially with a huge known issue like that though.

For reference I paid $900 for my 95 RS (420a engine) with a (purportedly) new transmission. The paint is sanded down horribly otherwise it would probably go for a few hundred more. This was about 5 months ago.

Talk him down because who knows what got messed up after getting it rebuilt...

Have you checked the fuel injectors? If the injectors are old, then I would look to swap them out. If that doesn't help. Maybe the resistor box for the coils. Pull the coils one at a time and look for the one where nothing changes. Then pull the injector plugs one at a time and look the same.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back