The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Old gas: How bad is it and what to do with it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I just removed nearly 2.5 gal of old gas from my '92 Talon TSi AWD. The engine hasn't been run in around 3 years, and the gas is 3-5 years old (some was added 3 years ago when last run, the rest had been there for 1-2 years). It smells kind of nasty, like varnish or paint thinner.

It's clear, in that there don't appear to be suspended solids, but is orange in color, like flat Fanta, maybe a shade darker. Once in a clear bottle, it appear to separate into a gooy-looking thicker, clearer and lighter layer around 1/4-1/2" thick on the bottom, and the darker and thinner orange stuff on top. I don't know if the color's due to a rusty tank or to some chemical reaction, or both. There's probably another gallon or two in there, but I've run out of bottles to store it in.

I removed it by disconnecting the high pressure line coming from the fuel filter from the fuel injector body routed with a tube to a bottle sitting on the ground, and activating the fuel pump using the test connector on the top of the firewall next to the battery. I covered the fuel line with a rag to minimize the chances that a spark would ignite it.

Here's what it looks like minutes after being pumped out:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So, what do I do with it? Normally I'd take it to a local recycling center that accepts hazmats, but they're all closed till next year due to the pandemic. Gas stations and auto parts stores won't accept it. Local landscapers won't take it for use with their gas-powered devices. I have no safe place or way to store it. I'm obviously not going to dump it. So, what are my options?

I was thinking of pouring some into a couple of older cars we have. One has a full tank of regular gas, the other around 2/3 a tank of regular gas, perhaps mixed in with Techron, Dry-Gas or Heet. Am I going to damage their injectors or engines if I do this? What about the Talon? If I keep the remaining 1-2 (maybe 3) gallons of this crap in there and add 2-4 gallons, and add some additives, would that be ok?

Btw I can't safely burn it, not where I live. Too many trees and vegetation, especially this time of year with drying fallen leaves. I'm stumped.

I am so sorry @1990TSIAWDTALON if I offended you in any way.. What I said was meant as a joke , teasing... just my silly humor. You are a great asset to this site and I would never disrespect you ...
I took it as a joke, no worries at all. ROFL
I laughed when I read your comment, which might be a good recommendation!!! :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back