The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Ok so heck just broke lose I have no luck :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrdrew5

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2009
jacksonville, Florida
ok so I got a trainne for pizza hut in my car with me, and I'm going down the interstate and I notice lose of power in my throttle and a weird smell so I pull off the off ramp car shuts off and won't turn back on :( so I get into a gas station and billowing smoke from under the hood.. white smoke. So I bought coolant put some in pours out the bottom so I think raditior has a hole in it, so then I take the bumper off to get a better look. There's oil in my wheel wells :? Both left and right a decent amount to, but I can't find a oil trail? No where,,, any ideas? Anyone around jacksonvile that can come to westside and give advice/sell parts./help wrench? I'm sitting in subway waiting on a tow truck as we speak,
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

You said "cant find an oil trail" But your leaking coolant right? I thought you said you has someone with you? have him pour in some water and look underneath while he pours it to see where its coming from. The white smoke is usually from a hot coolant hose bursting and releasing a bunch of steam. I wish i were a bit closer man i would come help if i was 4 hours south of you.

Was the white smoke also coming from your tailpipe when you stopped. It almost sounds like you may have blown a headgasket.

Does your motor still turn over and just not start?

Possible headgasket as mentioned. Make sure you look all over your coolant lines.

OT: What is up with the rigged up LICP? You have a coupler attached to the stock soft pipe?

I'm at a gas station it pours collant right back out the traniee is gone now, its coming from either bottom raditator hose or the hose next to it. Or raditor has a hole. I also need a new thermo housing anyone in jax got one?
You said "cant find an oil trail" But your leaking coolant right? I thought you said you has someone with you? have him pour in some water and look underneath while he pours it to see where its coming from. The white smoke is usually from a hot coolant hose bursting and releasing a bunch of steam. I wish i were a bit closer man i would come help if i was 4 hours south of you.

It shut off on me down the off ramp it wouldn't start back up but seemed to turn over. Ill try again when I get it home.
Was the white smoke also coming from your tailpipe when you stopped. It almost sounds like you may have blown a headgasket.

Does your motor still turn over and just not start?

When you get a chance pull your spark plugs, get a light an see if you have fluid in your cylinders and on your spark plugs. You may have blown a radiator hose off but that can be a result of blowing a head gasket.

You may have a cracked block also. Was your coolant boiling?

This is more of what I am thinking. Check for hole in back of block.

I don't think a headgasket is just going to blow and make your car shut off. Does it sound funny when trying to crank it?

Last edited:
The spark plugs them selfs were very little wet, and it didn't seem like collant.
When you get a chance pull your spark plugs, get a light an see if you have fluid in your cylinders and on your spark plugs. You may have blown a radiator hose off but that can be a result of blowing a head gasket.

Is the water pouring out so fast that you don't have the time to pour some in and then get down and look under the car to see where it's coming out from? You could ask a friendly person to pour while you are looking under there.

OT: What is up with the rigged up LICP? You have a coupler attached to the stock soft pipe?

It looks like maybe the soft pipe is not big enough to fit over the hard one so someone rigged up a sort of reducing/expanding coupler.

i had a bottom hose blow on mine a few yrs ago. and my coolant gauge didnt work right so i blue head gasket. another thing to check would be freeze plugs. but if water is coming straight out you'll have to fix hose first

So hear I am sitting in my friend's place in Florida, waiting for our pizza when I get a call that some DSM blew up and they had my pizza. Thanks bro.

On a serious note, oil in the wheel wells, white billowing smoke? I don't want to say it...but you may have blown your block.

u can also look at oil with dip stick and see if oil looks milky. just another sign of head gasket being blown

You should check to see if you blew out a freeze plug or even ruptured a coolant hose, but you might have more damage then that. I wouldn't try to start the car until I know exactly what is leaking/where it is leaking. Don't be too hasty

So hear I am sitting in my friend's place in Florida, waiting for our pizza when I get a call that some DSM blew up and they had my pizza. Thanks bro.

On a serious note, oil in the wheel wells, white billowing smoke? I don't want to say it...but you may have blown your block.

thats another thing to check. ## fluids are any of them low? as far as oils go

You should check to see if you blew out a freeze plug or even ruptured a coolant hose, but you might have more damage then that. I wouldn't try to start the car until I know exactly what is leaking/where it is leaking. Don't be too hasty

i agree check everything completely or u may turn a little problem into a big one. if its not already a big one

and as per the oil????? was it from your motor? is it dry? buy a big bottle of water the one with the sprout mouth piece let it slowly pour..
sorry about this bro... it hurts..

Did you do a BLT?

Seriously though, Double check all of your hoses, clamps, make sure the drain plug on your radiator is tight and not leaking, look underneath and see if you can see where the oil may have come from. There may be a leak at the oil pan.

id def check all oil stuff. could be a chance that hose was leaking all that hot water and steam cleaning all the old oil off. small chance but a chance. if the oil is from something in motor it had to come from somewhere so something would be low

Dipstick says there's no oil in the block like not a drop :( I'm thinking its going to a shop,, I can't do that work don't have the tools, I'm getting it towed to a shop now then there gonna dio it and let me kno they can fiance is the only reason I'm even concirdering this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back