The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil Pump Issue :/ please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOBY_GST

Proven Member
Nov 9, 2012
Hormigueros, Puerto_Rico
my oil gauge is indicating that when i start the car (cold start) i stays in 20 psi, after it gets warm it drops to 10 or sometimes even 5psi :/ does this mean my pump is dying in me? also my car doesn't idle like it should, it idles at 1,200 and sometimes after it gets warm it drops to 900 :( please help i just bought the car 3 days ago, any help will be appreciated :) thanks

Oil pressure drops once it's warm because the oil is thinner. Its fine.
Idle drops once it's warm because the auto choke stops once up to running temp.
You do know this happens to every car right??? :rolleyes:

5psi is pretty low though. Causing could be old bearings(tolerances more spacious due to miles) or to thin of an oil. Just change the oil and step up the oil weight on it.

Idle speed once the engine is warmed up is 700-800rpm. As far as oil pressure, are you just guesstimating based on the stock gauge, or do you have an aftermarket gauge installed?

i have an aftermarket oil gauge and the oil im putting in is 10w30, i live in hot weather, which oil viscosity do you recommend to me? like i said is always hot in here, Caribbean always 90 to 100 degrees even 120 in summer :/ they told me 10w30 would do good, what do you guys think?

5 psi seems a bit low to me. First of all make sure your oil is topped off, then make sure it is the correct weight. Also what type of oil pressure gauge are you using and where is it tapped in?

i just bought the car , i really dont know much of what the current mods are ### i bought it in a bid, so no specs what so ever :/ but i do know it run's hellafast :( still i dont like the idea of not knowing what has been done to it :mad: still ill look into where was the oil gauge was tapped in :) thanks

Last edited:
Assuming the gauge is accurate, your oil pressure is very low. Factory spec is 12psi at idle fully warm. You should also have much more than 20 psi cold start. That's how much pressure I have fully warmed up. I would suspect either the oil pump, or serious internal engine damage.

For viscosity, I wouldn't use anything thinner than 10w-30. I'd actually recommend Rotella 15w-40 if its available to you.

+1 my previous owner thought it would be a good idea to run paper thin 5-15 .i was seeing almost nothing on my oil gauge(autometer)after warm up. until i did what i knew, and changed it it 20-50.now im at 15 psi after warm up at idle. the heat from the turbo will wear anything under 10-30 to water.

:D
+1 my previous owner thought it would be a good idea to run paper thin 5-15 .i was seeing almost nothing on my oil gauge(autometer)after warm up. until i did what i knew, and changed it it 20-50.now im at 15 psi after warm up at idle. the heat from the turbo will wear anything under 10-30 to water.

Hey dontcha know dsms will run on water? :D j/k do NOT take that seriously

:D

Hey dontcha know dsms will run on water? :D j/k do NOT take that seriously

LOL.Thats border line blasphemy!!LOL. yeah for maybe a month and tons of blowby and oil in the intake.worse, spun bearings. I have friends with audis.(yes i know) theyre really idiots. I have told them time and time again to run 20w oil.They tell me the maufacture calls for 5w. I say yeah , and thats because the assume your driving in frigid weather. In FL, its anything but frigid, and 5w will become water in about 600 miles. no good.

It could be something as simple as a worn out/ weak bypass spring in the OFH, or the plunger is stuck open a bit.

Also was a BSE ever done on the engine? If yes were the front BS bearings flipped?

Also if you have a turbo block, check to make sure the oil squriters are installed or blocked off.

5psi is pretty low though. Causing could be old bearings(tolerances more spacious due to miles) or to thin of an oil. Just change the oil and step up the oil weight on it.

how much weight would you recommend me? i live in hot hot
Hot weather, 20w50? 20w40?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back