The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Oil pan gasket and oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9EagleTalon3

Probationary Member
Jul 5, 2012
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Hello,

Soo.. I own a 93 Eagle Talon ES. My car seems to be leaking oil. Im not sure from where exactly but most likely from the oil pan and might need a new oil pan gasket. So recently I just changed the oil on the car a few days ago as it was low and was figuring and testing if my alternator was bad which is was. But as I say the oil seems to be dripping from the oil pan so I figure it may just be the oil pan gasket. So if I plan on changing the oil pan gasket can I drain the oil and reuse the oil after putting on the new oil pan gasket? The oil is fairly new and since the oil change the car haven't been running.

It shouldn't be a problem to put the oil back in if you drain it into a clean container and keep it covered afterwards. If it were me i would just put new oil in it. Also don't use a gasket on the oil pan. IT isn't designed for a gasket. It is designed for a bead or rtv. Make sure to clean all the old rtv out of the groove in the pan rail. Before installing the rtv all of the oil must be cleaned from both surfaces. Acetone on a rag works well. You will also NOT want to let the rtv cure at all before bolting the pan on. That will cause it to not conform to the surfaces. After that let it cure for 24 hours.

Use a gasket maker called the "the right stuff" Its a little expensive but it will seal anything just make sure the surfaces are clean and dry before installing the pan back on the motor.
As far as the oil I would not reuse it but you can keep the old oil filter on though

Hrmm.. So are you guys saying after draining the oil out and taking off the oil pan, clean the pan and the surface by scraping off w/ever there is. Then just use the right stuff which I guess it's like some sort of glue and bolt it back on? So what is the oil pan gasket for or used for? No need to get/buy it? What is the point of oil pan gasket?

Hrmm.. So are you guys saying after draining the oil out and taking off the oil pan, clean the pan and the surface by scraping off w/ever there is. Then just use the right stuff which I guess it's like some sort of glue and bolt it back on? So what is the oil pan gasket for or used for? No need to get/buy it? What is the point of oil pan gasket?

The reason that there are gaskets available for these is because aftermarket gasket companies make them. That is the only reason that they were available. Mitsubishi doesn't make a gasket for the oil pan. They were made from the factory with a bead of grey rtv. I don't use the right stuff rtv, it is real good quality, but i just use the permatex ultra grey. When you remove the old gasket from the pan MAKE SURE that you clean the groove well in the pan. The groove is designed for to hold the rtv in place so that it isn't blown out by crank case pressure.

Use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the old RTV off the pan it gets in the grove real nice. Make sure everything is clean clean clean before putting the pan back on the motor.
Use a razor blade only on the engine blocks oil pan surface. NO roloc crap near the engine NEVER!

Ahh, I get it now. Thanks for the help. 1 more thing. Are the rtv any good to use on the valve cover if it's leaking? As in if the valve cover is leaking and I would take the valve cover off and use some of those rtv on the valve cover and bolt it back on? Does it need a Valve Cover Gasket? Or would just the rtv good enough?

Ahh, I get it now. Thanks for the help. 1 more thing. Are the rtv any good to use on the valve cover if it's leaking? As in if the valve cover is leaking and I would take the valve cover off and use some of those rtv on the valve cover and bolt it back on? Does it need a Valve Cover Gasket? Or would just the rtv good enough?

You definitely need a valve cover gasket. There are only a few places on the gasket that need rtv. Around the half moon plug, and at the edged of the outer cam caps that the gasket seals to.

You use a small amount of the RTV on the corners of the head. You should see some of the old RTV left on the head and the gasket to let you know were it goes. Best bet is replace the gasket as you will get the 1/2 moon piece and the spark plug hole gaskets. Watch how tight you tighten the valve cover nuts as they dont need that much but check them the next day as the gasket takes a set .. 1/4"drive rachet a little extension and a 10 mm socket gets the job done.

That right stuff works great i like it a lot, make sure to clean that surface good and clean the oil pan out while your there get a new plug and your set.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back