The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil leaking out of turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo4g63tuner

Probationary Member
Aug 31, 2021
Naturita, Colorado
Took engine out of of donar car ran great put into my green gvr4 (my gem)and ran the catch can wrong and created to Much crank pressure I think?is possible?basicaly looped my valve cover to pcv valve no vent?car smokes everywhere…

Pcv goes to the intake and other one is for extra pressure. Pretty much a breather pcv has to go to the intake though

This helps..haven’t work on
My dsm in years I have it just open no vacuum..I will hook it up correctly and let u guys know
Results

It sounds like the motor could have an excess amount of blow by, but maybe the pcv getting hooked to the intake will correct all of the smoke,.... but why is it having that much positive crankcase pressure is the real question.

Agree on blow by possibility..but my view point is it was in my other car and was great…when installed it in green car the gem…it smoke like a civ only difference was I hooked up pcv valve incorrectly oil comeing out down pipe was like shit too much crank pressure from that thought turbo seals blew from it..switched turbo and pvc valve smoke went away..this turbo I used was blown but had no leaks…so then I put my other on..and smoked again…could I have blown the seals in that turbo…was gonna reinstall same turbo again to see if smoke stops..so hard thx so much dsm community

How is the turbo drain on the green car? I got mine kinked once and it started smoking so I did my investigation and found the kink, put a hose clamp around it to keep it from kinking again before I bought a @MorrisonFab drain kit, which I must say is an absolute gem itself.
So, just make sure the turbo is draining WELL so it doesn't get backed up. I am on a Holset and they require a very good drain.

It’s a oem drain..and is good
Checked that…it’s a 16g ..when I started green car…I did not prime turbo wich was rebuilt..could that fry these turbo seals wich would make it smoke?

Last edited:
Could you attach a picture of the PCV setup that you've got?

And is there any reason to suspect a change in oil pressure? I suspect not, but it's worth asking.

And no suspect of oil pressure change..thx so much for help we will figure it out…today I’m gonna switch this turbo back and see if it doesn’t smoke…

It is new and switched also with one that was good to double check ..and switched turbos still smokes…probably time for a leek down test I’m thinking…

From the head…and just noticed timeing off one tooth would that make it smoke ..I’m thinking yes

From the head…and just noticed timeing off one tooth would that make it smoke ..I’m thinking yes

No. Timing off one tooth will make the car sound and feel like it’s running on 3 cylinders, but will not cause it to smoke. Verify your actual oil pressure. It may be too high and causing the oil to be pushed out past the seals in the turbo. Or... your oil drain tube is blocked or partially obstructed. This could cause the turbo to smoke as well

No. Timing off one tooth will make the car sound and feel like it’s running on 3 cylinders, but will not cause it to smoke.
I concur. I had a belt skip a tooth several times. Each time when you gave it some throttle it would be weak, feel a little stumbly, have minimal boost, no top end. Not sure which cam skipped (long time ago), but there was no smoke.

Very helpful…it seams to be heavy white smoke..and good also leak down and see if it’s head gasket

No. Timing off one tooth will make the car sound and feel like it’s running on 3 cylinders, but will not cause it to smoke. Verify your actual oil pressure. It may be too high and causing the oil to be pushed out past the seals in the turbo. Or... your oil drain tube is blocked or partially obstructed. This could cause the turbo to smoke as well
Drain tube is good..new oem

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back