The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Turbo leaking oil? ***PICS***

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i cant see a good enough view to say its NOT the feed line, but maybe ur pushing oil through the seals. PTE's seem to do it quite often, especially feeding from the filter housing (which they require) or with eliminated bshafts because of the added oil pressure. You could also check to see if your oil return is clogged.

anconover said:
i cant see a good enough view to say its NOT the feed line, but maybe ur pushing oil through the seals. PTE's seem to do it quite often, especially feeding from the filter housing (which they require) or with eliminated bshafts because of the added oil pressure. You could also check to see if your oil return is clogged.

I will pull oil return line this week and see if its clogged. How would it get clogged though? I do have my balance shafts eliminated.

If the seals are actually bad, is the turbo trash or is it a simple fix? Would it be worth the cost to get it rebuilt? Or would I be better off just getting a different turbo?

I will try to get some better pictures tomorrow. Thanks for quick reply.

Eric

with the balance shafts removed, and feeding from the filter housing, you can really rebuild the turbo as many times as youd like, its still going to end up forcing oil through the seals with the 100+psi of pressure its seeing. There is a PTE oil thread on here thats semi new that talks about it. Pushing a lil oil through the seals doesnt mean the turbo is bad, or shot. Read through the other thread about restrictors etc. I dont like the idea of them, but some have had luck with it.

anconover said:
with the balance shafts removed, and feeding from the filter housing, you can really rebuild the turbo as many times as youd like, its still going to end up forcing oil through the seals with the 100+psi of pressure its seeing. There is a PTE oil thread on here thats semi new that talks about it. Pushing a lil oil through the seals doesnt mean the turbo is bad, or shot. Read through the other thread about restrictors etc. I dont like the idea of them, but some have had luck with it.

So there is a chance that the seals arent bad? If this is there any other way besides a restrictor in the feed line to reduce the oil pressure?

an in-line filter that has a restrictor, otherwise not really. you could probly feed from the head with no problems, just dont tell PTE. I prefer the filter housing tho.

anconover said:
an in-line filter that has a restrictor, otherwise not really. you could probly feed from the head with no problems, just dont tell PTE. I prefer the filter housing tho.

I have some ghetto rigged rubber line on my car right now for the return line. How wide of a hose should I use? Can I just use regular heater hose from NAPA?

my pte is doing the same thing.. Im hoping its high pressure, im trying a -3an line to see if it fixes it. You runnin balance shafts?

A -3 line will reduce the volume a lot compared to -4 which is too large for a turbo. It is what most places use however because it's easier and cheaper than -3 is. I went well out of my way to get -3 and havn't had any problems with oil squeeze like you...

Also make sure non of your oil lines have a kink in them. PTE Turbos require the same kind of oil pressure and out of the turbo. IF you have a kink in either line it could cause the problem you have. My buddy had a kinked oil line and was causing him to have the same problem you are. You can easily make your own SS return line. I made my own. IF you already have the falnges ( T3 oil return flange and Mitsu oil pan flange ) get some barbed fittings and get some good sized SS line from a store that sells it. I found mine at a local Mustang shop. I think i used -6an line. It costed abut $25-$30 to make.

Green93TalonTSi said:
Also make sure non of your oil lines have a kink in them. PTE Turbos require the same kind of oil pressure and out of the turbo. IF you have a kink in either line it could cause the problem you have. My buddy had a kinked oil line and was causing him to have the same problem you are. You can easily make your own SS return line. I made my own. IF you already have the falnges ( T3 oil return flange and Mitsu oil pan flange ) get some barbed fittings and get some good sized SS line from a store that sells it. I found mine at a local Mustang shop. I think i used -6an line. It costed abut $25-$30 to make.
-6an seems a bit small, i've always heard of using -10an. Am i wrong?
I trust what jim says, even more so than the guys are slowboyracing. They keep telling me NO RESTRICTOR and i keep telling them i have high oil pressure. So far 4 people have said to try a -3an line and only one or two have said not to (slow boy) for one. I guess we shall see if it fixes my problem.

Well i havent had any problems and ive been using that return line for almost a year. All i did is took those barbed fittings with me and looked threw there SS line and picked what fit best. Im not totally sure its -6, but I made sure it flows freely and it does.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back