The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oil Leak w/ new MLS HG

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing0tj

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
I just installed my rebuilt head on my 92 TSi, I started the car it seemed to be fine and then oil started flining off the T-belt. I stopped the engine, I stripped the front of the block again to check it out.

It was a mess oil from the HG down, and a puddle at the bottom. Now I dont really know what to do or where the oil is coming from.

1. Is it possible for the new HG to leak on ONLY the T-belt side? I did not use and type of sealer on hte HG.

2. Are the anyways to check if the Main Seal is leaking, it wasnt leaking before the head rebuild so I dont know why it would start leaking after 4 months of inactivity.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

:cry: :barf:

Clean it up the best ya can, then get ahold of some oil dye from the auto parts store and throw that in. Put the timing belt back on without with covers and start it up. Grab a black light or the equivelant, turn out the lights and starts watching for a neon glow. :thumb:

should I be worried about the timing belt getting oil all over it? and possibly jumping?
either way I guess I will give that a try tomorrow.

Wing0tj said:
1. Is it possible for the new HG to leak on ONLY the T-belt side? I did not use and type of sealer on hte HG.

2. Are the anyways to check if the Main Seal is leaking, it wasnt leaking before the head rebuild so I dont know why it would start leaking after 4 months of inactivity.

1. Anything is possible. Make sure your head bolts are torqued to spec. Also, should have made sure the head is sitting flat with the block. Should have at least used a light coat of copper gasket spray.

2. Not sure what main seal you are talking about. Engine only has a rear main seal, which surrounds the crank on the clutch side of the engine.

I would try looking around the camshaft seals, and also leaky valve cover gaskets. I have a timing belt victim sitting in my driveway that suffered a horrible death, due to a very badly leaking valve cover gasket. Oil spewed all over the cam gears, timing belt, and every other timing part on that side of the engine. Needless to say, timing jumped, and buh-bye head. So, to answer your other question...

should I be worried about the timing belt getting oil all over it? and possibly jumping?
either way I guess I will give that a try tomorrow.

YES YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED! Go buy new belts as well.

NOSLO2PT0 said:
1. Anything is possible. Make sure your head bolts are torqued to spec. Also, should have made sure the head is sitting flat with the block. Should have at least used a light coat of copper gasket spray.

2. Not sure what main seal you are talking about. Engine only has a rear main seal, which surrounds the crank on the clutch side of the engine.

I would try looking around the camshaft seals, and also leaky valve cover gaskets. I have a timing belt victim sitting in my driveway that suffered a horrible death, due to a very badly leaking valve cover gasket. Oil spewed all over the cam gears, timing belt, and every other timing part on that side of the engine. Needless to say, timing jumped, and buh-bye head. So, to answer your other question...

YES YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED! Go buy new belts as well.

k well I dont really know how to diagnose where the leak is coming from with out the car running... I cant really afford to lose another head either. the head and block were both just machined flat, so I can rule that out. I wasnt sure if I should or shouldnt use copper spray(every thread on here redargeing it turns into a massive arguement...), regardless i already have the head torqued on according to ARP specs

the seal I am talking about is the on on the front cover that goes around the crank, I know there is one there as well as the rear main.

The amount of oil that is there rules out anything from the head, there is NO oil above the head gasket beside that oil on the timing belt.

So basically I need ideas on find out what is leaking, so far the dye is the best but the chance of ruining the head makes it risky.

would it be ok to take it all apart and apply some copper spray? I know its been torqued and all but it hasnt seen any heating/cooling cycles, and I do not have the time to get another HG this weekend.

You do have front and rear crank shaft seals. Yes it is a possibility but I would doubt it judging from what you describe.
Sorry, oil left soaking on a timing belt = new belt. Now, it hasn't been on there long so you can try to clean it off with a soft solvent and re-use it. Your call. What is your worry/anxiety level?
Is it possible it's your HG? Sure. But I'm not so sold on that one either. It ran "fine" and then "oil started flinging off the timing belt" and only in the front of the engine. That would be unusual unless there was something stuck in the HG or there was an obvious rip/dent. Or something "wacko" happened on your torque sequence and it did not torque all the way down. You decked your head and block (good for you :thumb: ) so if that WAS done incorrectly it is unlikely to leak out that much in such a restricted area.

Could be your cam seal? Sure. Now this is more likely. You may see the oil leaking from just the head gasket down, but leaks can be tough to track down at times.

Since you just sent the head out for work let me give you another area of concern. If you look at the attatched pic you can see 4 gallery plugs located pretty much behind the cam gears. Some shops will pull these out when they clean the heads. Be sure that these are all back in and not leaking.
MB

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 238
Mike1992 said:
Clean it up the best ya can, then get ahold of some oil dye from the auto parts store and throw that in. Put the timing belt back on without with covers and start it up. Grab a black light or the equivelant, turn out the lights and starts watching for a neon glow. :thumb:
There are several places where it can leak from and the method above will show you what you need to fix. Follow Mike's advice because it is the best way to find a leak if it is not obvious.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Ok I have know for a fact I did NOT replace the cam seal... whenI was re installing cams I couldnt get gears off... :notgood: ... bad reason not to I know.

But how much could that realy leak? cuz Im seeing quite a bit of oil

Im gonna go out right now and se if I can get 2 T-belts and, seals, and dye.

if anyone has Ideas on how to get he cam gears off that would be cool, and if anyone knows if tehy can leak ALOT of oil.

Ok I need to know if the bolt holes for the hydraulic tensioner are sealed? Or will oil come out it the bolts are not torqued down?

if you know please reply.

Ok well I have no Idea what hte leak was.

BUT today after buying hte oil dye, 2 tbelts, brake clean and cam seals. I added the dye, cleaned the area, switched T/belts... AND no leaks... I have no idea where it came from or y but its not there now and everything is running strong.

Thanks for your help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back