The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Oil filter/oil cooler leaks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

import2gtuner

Proven Member
May 9, 2014
Toronto, ON_Canada
I'm having a hard time figuring this out. I have oil leaks dripping off my oil filter housing up the ying yang. (Small leaks but in a few different places.) I thought it was just the gasket, oil pressure sending unit, the oil feed line to turbo, and all the bolts that thread in that were the problem.

I had the oil filter housing gasket changed, and all the bolts/lines tightend to spec while I had the timing done (Along with a new oil pressure sending unit.) Still leaks. Now I believe it has to be the part inbetween the OFH and the oil filter that's the issue. Possibly gravity flowing the oil down off that part and dripping off the ports/bolts/sending units off the OFH.

1. Is RTV supposed to be in between the oil cooler/oil filter bracket to the OFH? Mine is caked in black RTV (not from me.)

2. I believe there is an o-ring that can go bad along with the stud backing out, should I just replace those or buy another cooler/bracket?

This is a OEM setup for a 7 Bolt 4G63

Oh I believe so too, I just don't know how that part is supposed to be installed the right way. I didn't want to go tearing it off this weekend only to find out I'm missing something that's needed or if I should just replace the whole thing in general. Like if it does need a thin bead of RTV and a gasket or not, I'm just not 100%.

Are you sure that it is not leaking from up higher and running down onto the housing? I swore up and down one time that it was my OFH that was leaking, and it ended up being the crank seal and balance shaft seal. If the oil is clean, its extremely hard to see it running down the front cover onto the OFH.

I usually take the old one and match it up to an oil filter with the right size gasket and just use the oil filter gasket. It's really the same thing I've been doing it for years no issues.

I'm having a hard time figuring this out. I have oil leaks dripping off my oil filter housing up the ying yang. (Small leaks but in a few different places.) I thought it was just the gasket, oil pressure sending unit, the oil feed line to turbo, and all the bolts that thread in that were the problem.

I had the oil filter housing gasket changed, and all the bolts/lines tightend to spec while I had the timing done (Along with a new oil pressure sending unit.) Still leaks. Now I believe it has to be the part inbetween the OFH and the oil filter that's the issue. Possibly gravity flowing the oil down off that part and dripping off the ports/bolts/sending units off the OFH.

1. Is RTV supposed to be in between the oil cooler/oil filter bracket to the OFH? Mine is caked in black RTV (not from me.)

2. I believe there is an o-ring that can go bad along with the stud backing out, should I just replace those or buy another cooler/bracket?

This is a OEM setup for a 7 Bolt 4G63

If you've replaced the filter already more than once, then check the oil filter housing mounting surface which could be damaged or warped (rare) or you may have another leak that's higher up on the engine and is leaking down to the oil filter possibly.

I'm beginning to think the OFH is bad...

After a month of taking it back and fourth to a shop, they put the UV dye in it. After alot of driving and bringing it back and tightening things up, they said it's the OFH bolts leaking....WTF...

Everything is done right. Torqued/thread lock. What is being done wrong? Balance shafts are deleted and oil pressure is normal. Not sure if that would make a difference anyway but I'm clueless. Do the bolts need crush washers or something?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back