The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil drain holset

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barlow

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2005
Woodstock, ON_Canada
Can anyone clairify for me that the oil drain(return) flange for holset turbo are the same as garret journal bearing turbos?

Thanks

uhh, not sure. i have holset HX-40 on mine. i moddified the stock return to work. i just used the top two inches of the return tube that connects to the turbo and the bottom two inches where the tube connects to oil pan. then there is a non conductive silicone based hose that is hose clamped on there to connect the two. where it attatches to pan it ovbiously just bolts right up, the when the stock tube bolts onto hole set i had to cut the bolt holes out. cut them both out to the out side edge. then used bolts with larger flat washers in there for insurance that the bolts will grab. of course there is a gasket, u have to do the same thing to it. it works fine by doin this. i know lots of people who use this set up.

I was also considering doing that as well. But I remember people were using the braided stainless kits and I couldn't figure out what flange they were using from what I could tell the journal bearing garret's look like they match the holset's but the GT-style ones might not. I never came across one offered for just Holset.

The hx drain lines are definately the same bolt pattern as the garret t3 and t4 journal bearign turbos. But the outlet hole of most drain lines is less than required spec per the official holset repair manual. Still not sure these smaller return holes are leading to blown turbos. I ran mine with a garrett line which was less than spec for a year with no real issues.

The hx drain lines are definately the same bolt pattern as the garret t3 and t4 journal bearign turbos. But the outlet hole of most drain lines is less than required spec per the official holset repair manual.

Thanks for the reassurance on the bolt pattern. I am currently looking into different ways to get around around the smaller dia.(garret) to larger dia.(holset) oil drain issue(possible issue, whatever). I think I may have something in mind.

Also I guessing that oil feed line is not the same a garret?

I'm planning on feeding from the head no restrictor, good or bad idea?
I have no balance shafts.

feed from the oil filter housing! i ruined a pte 60 trim feedin oil from the stock location on the head. tap the oil filter housing where the oil presure sending unit is. you have cooler fresher filtered oil with way more presure. and dont forget to bump the hose diamater up to a larger one. the lil piss tube small sized ones dont carry enough volume combine that with the low presure spot of the stock location and your larger than stock turbo will be hurtin trust me. learned the hard way cause i didnt have any one to tell me differant. $900$ pte got smoked! now have hx40 on a fatty oil line from FILTER HOUSING

CHECK YOUR OIL PRESSURE AT THE OIL INLET! Start using a OFH line and check at the inlet of the turbo. PERIOD. Most are perfect with a restrictor and feeding from the OFH. But you HAVE to know your pressure (you can check in neutral in your driveway revving the motor and noting pressure at idle spool rpm and redline.)

That is the only way to know if a foreign, aftermarket, upgrade, different, non Mitsubishi turbo will be ok with your setup. Every setup is different, every oil pressure ends up being different. KNOW how your setup will treat your turbo instead of just doing what everyone else does. A gauge can be had for free, if you have a fuel pressure gauge. Who doesn't have a fuel pressure gauge and has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator anyhow :)

Dsmcurse - My T3/T4 seems to be surviving feeding from the head - maybe just luck. Your fatty line ?? Is it not -4an?

Dsm-onster - sounds good - thanks. I guess I would need a tee fitting with a 1/8 npt in the feed line at the turbo then for a gauge?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back