The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

o2 sensor placement with external dump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin TD04

Probationary Member
Jan 31, 2004
Cerritos, California
Originally I was running a 2g o2 housing with a WBo2 sensor and an internally gated EVOIII 16g. As you already know the placement of the o2 sensor bung on the 2g o2 housing is in the collector area of the housing, where the internal wastegate passes and the mainstream exhaust flow. So here's my question. Will running an external dump effect the WBo2 sensor reading? Because now the wastegate gases are completely bypassing the o2 sensor. Also, would recirculating the external and relocating the WBo2 passed the connection cure this problem (if there is one)? I have read many threads on this and none totally answer my question. Thanks for the input.

-Jj

The external dump should not matter. The wbo2 is not measuring the volume of the exhaust gas, its just measures the oxygen content of the exhaust gas so the dump shouldnt have any effect. The wbo2 sensor should not be in the o2 housing, zeitronix says to put it at least 16" away from the turbo, I have mine in the down pipe just before the flex section, I also just installed an external dump. BTW, I am in La Palma, you are pretty close to me, we have a DSM meet close by on Monday nights if you are interested PM me and I will give you the details.

The external dump should not matter. The wbo2 is not measuring the volume of the exhaust gas, its just measures the oxygen content of the exhaust gas so the dump shouldnt have any effect. The wbo2 sensor should not be in the o2 housing, zeitronix says to put it at least 16" away from the turbo, I have mine in the down pipe just before the flex section, I also just installed an external dump. BTW, I am in La Palma, you are pretty close to me, we have a DSM meet close by on Monday nights if you are interested PM me and I will give you the details.

I know that it measures the oxygen content of the exhaust. But the way i think of it is, if you have a huge exhaust leak ( before the o2 ), in this case an external dump, would that not effect the oxygen content reading? I just need an explanation of why, then I can shut up. Also, I have been running the WBo2 in that position for a year and it still works great. I jus got lazy. HAHA. Thanks.

-Jj

I know that it measures the oxygen content of the exhaust. But the way i think of it is, if you have a huge exhaust leak ( before the o2 ), in this case an external dump, would that not effect the oxygen content reading? I just need an explanation of why, then I can shut up. Also, I have been running the WBo2 in that position for a year and it still works great. I jus got lazy. HAHA. Thanks.

-Jj

When the WG opens its usually at wot or high rpm so its forcing exhaust out under high pressure so it should not be leting air in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back