The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

O-ringed Head Protrusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastlaser

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2003
glendora, New_Jersey
What kind of protrusion are any guys with a O ringed head and a MLS gasket running? I am going back to a O ringed head and a Cometic MLS gasket (2.4 block, 87mm bore) since that is my only option besides a Composite.

Don't run an Mls with Orings. Use a composite, or copper gasket. I usually run about .008" protrusion on a 4g.

I also just noticed that only the head is Oringed. Why not the block, with a receiver groove in the head? If you ring only the block it can still push up into the aluminum head, but a groove in the head is best. If you only ring the head, it cannot press into a flat iron surface at all. If you don't use stainless, and use copper, it just smashes down as if it's not even there with a Mls gasket.

My old motor had a O ringed head, with a composite gasket done by M2 race systems. Alex at dogbox which is a personal friend of mine runs a OEM MLS with a O ringed head on the Evo which is a pretty high compression motor on straight methonal, and pretty much any dsm motor he builds, including Shep, and Dave B. Sheps stage 3 heads come O ringed SS. I have a Oem MLS off a friends car I am building, and the head was O ringed from M2. Trust me the SS wire but into the Oem MLS just fine.

I am looking for a answer of protrusion on the head not what not to do, and what to do. I would rather not call and annoy shops, so maybe get some useful answers on here.

Unfortunatly I have the motor already in the car, and I cant use a Oem MLS because it would have to be bored to size. So only option is Cometic MLS, OR composite.

My old motor had a O ringed head, with a composite gasket done by M2 race systems. Alex at dogbox which is a personal friend of mine runs a OEM MLS with a O ringed head on the Evo which is a pretty high compression motor on straight methonal, and pretty much any dsm motor he builds, including Shep, and Dave B. Sheps stage 3 heads come O ringed SS. I have a Oem MLS off a friends car I am building, and the head was O ringed from M2. Trust me the SS wire but into the Oem MLS just fine.

I am looking for a answer of protrusion on the head not what not to do, and what to do. I would rather not call and annoy shops, so maybe get some useful answers on here.

Unfortunatly I have the motor already in the car, and I cant use a Oem MLS because it would have to be bored to size. So only option is Cometic MLS, OR composite.

I know john sheperd run a mitsu mls head gasket and oring head I call them about 2 years ago as to what protrusion they used on their combo he said .005. I know this is not a lot but this is what I run .005 with a hks stopper mls head gasket on my current setup and been good know for over 2 years:thumb:

That's a good answer. I think the felpro mls is also a stopper gasket, slow93turbo had a problem with a o ringed block with a felpro mls and had issues but the protrusion could har been too much. Shep figured that one out for him. Need to get some good answers and ideas for future reference not even just for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back